2008 Chevy Tahoe LTZ transmission slip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

puffer

Reaction score
So today I picked up a used 2008 Chevy Tahoe LTZ with 52k miles on it. During the initial test drive all seemed fine so went ahead with purchase of vehicle. However, today I picked it up and drove about 1 hour to get home from dealer. Most of the hour was highway driving. Got off highway and heading down road towards my home and had to stop for road construction. Standing still for several moments. As I began to slowly accelerate the transmission suddenly jumped out of gear almost as if stuck in neutral. I pressed the gas peddle further and the RPMs rev'd up and speedometer went to zero but the vehicle would not further accelerate. It was out of gear...again it was like it was in Neutral. It was still rolling from the initial acceleration but would not accelerate further. It seems like it jumped out of gear between 1st and 2nd gear or 2nd and 3rd gear. It resolved itself after a few moments and I was able to accelerate again.

It did this two more times over the next hour of driving it around. In all three cases it was after I had come to a brief stop, began accelerating then suddenly it would come out of gear and would not accelerate RPMs red lining and speedometer drops to zero. The second and third time it happened I had to pull over...put the vehicle in park to get it to work. It doesn't do this all the time but three times over a 2 hour period is a problem. I am pretty convinced this is occurring during a gear change...1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd

It's a little scary to not be able to accelerate especially when you don't know when it's going to happen!

Is this a known issue with Tahoes?
Likely cause / known defective components?
Similar expereinces?

It's going back to dealer tomorrow...fortunately 60 day warranty but I want to go armed with some certain knowlege as a known issue or probable cause

Comments greatly appreciated.

Tahoe99

Reaction score
At 52 k it should still be strong, is it a 4 or 6 speed ?
Check fluid level and color.
Did you get it fixed ?