98 Tahoe Valve Body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ckingwevl

Reaction score
I've posted here before about the tranny clunk I was experiencing between 1/2 gears when towing long distances in west texas mountains. got a lot of great feedback. Towed my camper recently (1200 miles round trip) in the suggested 3rd gear and experienced no clunk.

this past week I was in stop/go traffic through dallas a few days (not towing) and the clunk came back one of my trips. I thought my issue was isolated to towing only so I took the tahoe to my local chevy dealer. shared with them my past experiences, told them I even got the code 1870 once as well as what I was experiencing currently. Their diagnosis without officially digging in to it was the valve body needed to be replaced.

Doing a little research online I found that this was/is a common problem. Even found a GM technical bulletin about it. My question is has anyone out there had the valve body replaced at the dealership for 98 or similar tahoe. I've seen varying labor prices. One source that looked somewhat reliable was $110 @ $65 an hour. So I would estimate based on that the valve body replacement takes about 2 hours. Any other experiences out there with this?