A little on towing...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vrrooom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I towed my "offroad" vehicle (98 Cherokee) about 300 miles today (150 each way) in my 07 LTZ.

This is by far the best towing experience I've had, period. I've towed in a F250 diesel, F150 and I'll take the Tahoe hands down. The ride was very smooth (especially for having a trailer in the back) and it handled it in terms of gear shifts and power just amazing for its class. The diesel definitely had more power but the ride the LTZ gave made the lack of power easy... and it wasn't really a lack, it had plenty to easily pull the load.

My buddy has Cherokee just like mine, same weight, similar trailer, etc. He towed it in a 07 F150 and he had to have his truck floored just to keep up at 80mph going up and down the mountains. While the Tahoe was just cruising at ~2000rpm in 4th. Occassionally downshifting to maintain speed but still holding strong and having way more to go.

The auto adjusting shocks did such an amazing job in keeping the ride so smooth, at some points I forgot I even had a trailer. And the auto leveling was just perfect to even out the trailer. All goes well hand in hand.

Avergae about 75-80 mph, going up and down some fairly large inclines, pulling about 6000lbs (car+trailer), it averaged 10.5-11mpg. Prior to getting to the hilly area at 70 mph it was doing mid-low 11s for mpg.

Here are a couple pics:
IMG_3496.jpg

IMG_3493.jpg

IMG_3567.jpg

chevyrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great pics, i like all the Chevy's to the right. I also really like the jeep, how often do you going wheeling and where ?

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
these things are towing monsters.

looks like fun, handle the snow well??

your jeep looks cool, your wise and use an older jeep, never sell that thing dude.

Vrrooom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! The Tahoe did well in the snow, altho it was just the big parking area that had snow. The rest of the roads were clear.

Theres a couple local "spots" but mainly go to offroad parks: this one was at Rausch Creek in PA. Great spot. I love the Jeep too, never going to get rid of it. Plus its worth less than all the parts in it! lol

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet xj, any more pics? I just put dedenbear highsteer arms on my brother's 2dr along with a bunch of other crap for his birthday. I thought my denali was a money pit, I guess jeep does stand for just empty every pocket.

Vrrooom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet xj, any more pics? I just put dedenbear highsteer arms on my brother's 2dr along with a bunch of other crap for his birthday. I thought my denali was a money pit, I guess jeep does stand for just empty every pocket.

I have a couple more pics, they're below. Definitely a money pit too! So far the Tahoe hasn't started to drain my pocket, but then again I've only had it for a short time.

IMG_3513.jpg

IMG_3475.jpg

Speaking of high steer arms, I just got done with a complete custom steering setup. Along with D44 from the JK:
IMG_3477.jpg

IMG_3479.jpg

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks sweet, love the ssrs :thumbsup: Those jk axles are a hell of a deal, I already have a 9" that I'm gonna toss for a built hi9 with 40 splines and a spidertraxx housing. If I break that I'm more of an idiot then I thought
spider9.jpg

IMG00330.jpg

IMG00327.jpg

I'll be towing it out to moab this year with the denali, trying to break more yukon 44 shafts. I'm also building new steering with big heims and some hydro assist once the snow stops, really sucks working at a 4wd shop when you have too many toys.