Before I start tearing apart wiring harnesses...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnPendroy1979

Reaction score
Here goes...2004 Tahoe 5.3L Auto 2WD
Electrical Problems started right after I bought it...fuse for the rear liftgate blew...thought nothing of it, just a random dash warning. Replaced fuse, alarm cleared. Started truck the next morning, fuse blew, received replace liftgate fuse again...We have lived with this since we bought the truck in January 2011.
Then we start getting a mild shock when entering or exiting the driver's door / seat. Also normally when the door is opened after the engine turns off the radio and lights turn off, but not when the driver's door is opened and closed...
Went to have any codes pulled from the computer and the technician said he couldn't get a reading from the the truck because the wiring harness was possibly damaged to the OBD (1 or 2 IDK)
Then the other night the car alarm kept going off...went outside and checked it out...and the door locks where randomly and rapidly trying to unlock themselves also the interior lights were flickering...so I disconnected the battery and went back to bed.
The next morning, hooked battery back up and turned on truck just fine. While driving down road received driver door ajar warning and then the locks started randomly and rapidly unlocking themselves again...also when I try to use the window controls, the interior lights come on...?
To my knowledge nobody has spilled anything on the door controls, my wife smokes and leaves the window partially rolled down while driving, and well, here in the Pacific Northwest we get lots of rain...so that is a possibility.
So, has anybody else encountered electrical gremlins in their Tahoe / Yukons? Is their a common fault that is here or do I have potentially hours of electrical troubleshooting on my hands? Thank you all for any help!

JohnPendroy1979

Reaction score
Kind of figured this might stump a lot...already started going from wire to wire with a multi-meter...looking for frays, burns and loose grounds...bleh...what a pain!

Grebbler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the Body Control Module freaking out. I would check power and ground wires in the engine bay and the harness near the tailgate at the swing joint.