Color suggestions for a Smokey Caramel YUKon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CRXMotorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright here's my current daily driver/tow vehicle. Long story short, a good racer friend of mine had it for sale, had it since it was 1 yr old, and I knew he took care of it and wasn't jerkin' me around.

Part II... I hate the color of this thing, however I'm not going to pay high dollars to repaint it right, (doing door jams, hood/trunk, etc.)
I would like to at least get it looking a bit more personal, but professional.. As you can see, I debadged it (almost) completely. I dislike chrome, and I am not looking for new 'bling' for wheels.

My plan(s) is(are) to cover the GMC on the grill with a rounded rectangle of carbonfibre, and probably put a 'motorsports' decal on it prior to clear coating it, (same decal as are on the sides, just smaller). I also am working on a hitch reciever cover out of carbonfibre. I may at some point remove the bumpers, sandblast/prep them and spray them a flat black (again to remove any/all chrome look).

I have just replaced the tires with Goodyear Wranglers and I have the white letters in, so they are a solid black tire now. I was pondering painting the wheels a dark metallic 'gunmetal' color, which I have done on the race car as well as other projects. I'm not sure if the gunmetal color will compliment or fight the smokey caramel of the truck.

[CLIFFNOTES] suggestions on what would look good/bad on the truck?
[BACKGROUND OF THE AUTHOR] Big Formula1 fan, big fan of function over fashion, no use for nASScar, no use for 'cosmetic' pieces that can be found in any walmart, autozone, advance auto etc. nor anything trendy...

Here are a couple pictures of the Yukon, followed by a couple pictures of previous cars just for 'examples' I guess of my ideal of minimal appearance modifications.
yukon02.jpg

yukon04.jpg

yukon06.jpg

race car
nora1.jpg

re01r.jpg

wheel.jpg

previous daily driver
m3_112.jpg

m3_118.jpg

Yes blacked out kidney grills, removed all amber lenses, even carbonfibre overlays on the BMW roundels
m3_18.jpg

Anyone who reads this, congrats, and thanks... for either reading my midnight rant, or for scrolling through it just to see pictures!

qlc1964

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would chrome it out. and l.e.d rear lights clear front lights,handles,wheel well
trim,bottom quarter stainless panels&upper panel and grill.

oh and keep the wheel wells clean.

CRXMotorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would chrome it out. and l.e.d rear lights clear front lights,handles,wheel well
trim,bottom quarter stainless panels&upper panel and grill.

oh and keep the wheel wells clean.

Did I miss something? did you see I'm removing all chrome? :ktoe:

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think the rims would look fine with the gun metal color, i'd paint the bumpers to match them though

lovin the M3..

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with the previous post suggesting that you paint the wheels gunmetal and match the front and rear bumpers. Also, I'm not a huge fan of that "motorsports" decal... The exhaust would look cool as a dual rear-exit setup, painted flat black.

BigBlackBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I had a 96 Yukon the same color and I loved it. I would also get compliments on how nice the color was, and how good she looked when she was clean. I like the idea of getting rid of the chrome, I to am going that route. The gun metal and CF as stated above should look good (IMHO). I think after you add your personal touches you'll start to get a different feel for your truck.

CRXMotorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for some of the replies.. if I paint the bumpers, I don't think that the gunmetal color would be appealing.. I'm thinking flat black, almost new style ABS plastic looking.. I may go ahead and attempt the wheels with the gunmetal color this spring.
I'm sorry one person didn't like the motorsports lettering on the side, however, this is primarily a tow vehicle for the CRX Motorsports team, so it is fitting and not bold and gawdy like many bumper stickers or windsheild banners that are commonly seen.

Any other suggestions or thoughts? Replied to your pm's bigblack

AudiSport12

Reaction score
How much to those wheels weigh on the Honda? Make? Model?

A buddy of mine has them on his MR2 but only in the brushed finish. I'd like to see if they have any for my Audi if they come in 17's or 18's and a 5x112 pattern