Finding the correct circuit to tap into

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pebo

Reaction score
UPDATED: MOVED THREAD TO THIS LOCATION:

I own a 2012 LTZ, gasoline Tahoe and run a dash type of camera in my truck that is currently hot all the time. When the truck is turned off the camera will go into a "parking" mode which stops the camera from recording unless there is motion detected. This means that the camera is still drawing power and one time, after a couple of days of not driving the truck the battery went dead.

To alleviate this issue, I bought a "Power Magic Pro" which when connected to the camera, monitors the battery power and will shut off the power to the camera when the battery power falls to a predetermined level. I've attached a copy of the installation directions below.

The installation requires one wire, the yellow, to go to a always hot line and another the red wire to a line that is only hot when the key is turned on. I've checked all the fuses on the drivers side of the dash and these are hot all the time. I found several fuses under the hood that are hot only when the ignition is on, one being #43, Misc Ign (10A).

I don't want to ruin any computer components nor activate an airbag, so this is where my questions start.

-Is there a line inside the cab that I could safely use to hook the Ignition controlled wire (red) to?
-If nothing inside the cab, would this 10A fuse, #43 be a safe fuse to connect to? If so, any recommendations on how to safely run a wire through the firewall?
-Are there any full time hot circuits I need to be careful of not to hook this to? Any recommendation on a suitable fuse to connect to on the drivers side of the dash?

The fuse adapters I purchased are rated for a maximum of 10A.

Also mentioned in the directions is that if the vehicle has a "Battery Saver Function, to connect the hot line to the emergency lamps. Any idea if the 2012's have this feature?

I'd appreciate any help.

Attachments

• 32476185279267.jpg
    32476185279267.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

09BlkTahoe

Reaction score
My 09 LT has a power wire under the center console that is IGN controlled. I've used the constant power from the passengers side panel to tap into a 12v power source to hard wire my GPS. I did notice that it looks like there are IGN controlled power sources there too but didn't want to fool around with a connector, etc.

Pebo

Reaction score
Thanks for advising. I'm going to be out of town for about 10 days, but when I get home, I will look to see if I am lucky enought to have this ignition line under my center console.

Again, thanks. Look for my follow up.