Hello from Manila, Philippines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BAD4U

Reaction score
Hi guys!

Thank you for accepting me to the group.

I recently acquired a 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 2WD with around 116,400 kilometers on the odometer. It has the 4.8-liter Vortec V8 and 4-speed automatic transmission.

The Tahoe and the Suburban are both looked upon as a rich man's SUV here in the Philippines where large turbodiesel SUVs like the Mitsubishi Pajero (Shogun), Nissan Patrol, Toyota Land Cruiser VX, and similar diesel-powered mid-sized SUVs populate our roads.

My family has always been into Chevys. My grandfather had a 1952 Chevy Deluxe 2-door sedan with Powerglide which my father bought when my grandfather purchased a new Chevy II Nova 4-door sedan in 1963. My dad had to reluctantly sell his '52 Chevy when our family finances were down in 1979.

In 1993, I bought my first car, a 1974 Chevy Nova 2-door sedan with a 250cid inline-6, Turbo 350 3-speed automatic column shift, and bench seats. Three years later, I sold it to get a 1971 Chevy Camaro RS, which I still have today.

When I was dating my then-girlfriend (now wife) in the late '90s, her neighbor had a GMT-400 Tahoe that I always stopped to admire. She would wonder why I would like to drive such a large SUV in the tight streets of Metro Manila.

We got married in 1999, named our daughter Genevie Marie (GM, get it?), who was born in 2000 and nicknamed her her Vette (like the Corvette). In 2005, we found that my wife was pregnant with our second child, a son, which Vette named Chevy.

In 2015, I found a nice black 2002 Tahoe LT (GMT-800) with leather seats that was being sold at a low price. I wanted to buy the Tahoe but my wife needed to have an operation to remove a large cyst from her neck so I had to let the Tahoe slip away.

Last December 2016, I found this 1-owner pewter metallic 2002 Tahoe LS (GMT-800) that was in good condition and was being sold at a good price. Unfortunately at the time, our business needed the funds more, so I had to let the Tahoe slip away, again.

In February of this year, my wife and I were driving to a meeting when we saw the same pewter Tahoe parked in front of a house near our office. My wife asked that if we have the money, would I go knock on the owner's door and ask if he'd be willing to sell the Tahoe? I said I would.

Two weeks later, my wife and I spotted the Tahoe again while driving with our kids and my mom. My wife took a picture of the Tahoe and told our kids and my mom that I really liked the Tahoe but our funds were tied. My kids teased me about it because it turned out that they like it, too.

On March 12, 2017, I got a call from the first owner of the Tahoe that the guy he sold it to was selling it again to raise funds for a family emergency. This time, my wife said that we can afford to get it and we did.

After several years of dreaming of owning a Chevrolet Tahoe, I now have one in my garage. And the best part is, one of my American friends, John Gillespie, who live in Angeles City, Pampanga (north of Manila), recently got himself a 2005 Tahoe!

Now, my only problem is locating the stamped VIN / chassis number so I can have the registration of the Tahoe updated. Our local Land Transportation Office (LTO, or the equivalent of the DMV) requires a stencil of the VIN for the registration renewal. Any idea where it is located?

Thanks again!

Miami-Dade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach!! BTW my mom [RIP] had a 1951 Chevy Deluxe [4 door] from 1951 to 1966 when she got a new Nova.

Also check out the sites sister forum tahoeyukonforum.com