HID Lights from High Level

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeCallery

Reaction score
Bored with my 06 Z71 Tahoe, I've been looking at little projects that I can undertake to spruce up my ride. One of them was the HID Headlight conversion kit from HighLevel aka: Mike Johnson.

Mike had permission to advertise on the site and offered a kit to do a HID conversion on my ride so I decided to take a shot. His website looked quite professional and he offered a pretty satisfaction and support.

One member said his price, $149. was too expensive compared to eBay. Now granted, I do shop on eBay and look for odds and ends, but you tend to get what you pay for. You can find the HID lights pretty inexpensively, but they don't include the transformer and I don't know if that poster was aware of it.

I ordered the kit last week. My payment cleared late Friday, the kit shipped Monday and arrived yesterday. I just finished the install.

The box wasn't anything impressive and looked pretty generic if you ask me. All gold with a tag sheet on one side indicating what was in the box. The packing, however, was first class with the bulbs protected in styrofoam, in a plastic tube, and that and everything else was in styrofoam for protection.

The kit included the wiring harness, two bulbs and two transformers. You had to go online to get the instructions, which I felt should have been included, but such is life.

Installation, honestly, was a breeze. The hardest part of the installation, in my opinion, was determining where you had space to mount the transformers for each light. On the DS there was a bolt holding a support rod that went between the front grille and the side quarter panel that served well. On the other side I just drilled a self-taping screw into the front cross member and put the transformer next to the air cleaner.

I popped off the plastic top shield that covers radiator access and ran the wires across there, tying it off with twist tie.

Connections were straight forward. One hot going to the battery, one ground. There was one wire that connected to the DS light plug, which served basically as the relay trigger. The other connections on the harness connected to the transformers and they in turn fed the lights.

Again, finding the location for the transformers was the most challenging part, but aside from that, it took me all of about 30 minutes to do the install.

I have the 5000k version, the recommended k I understand and the ones that would match up with most of the cars. I was not interested in show, but in functionality and legality. I'll drive the car over the next few days and see how I like the night time illumination and report back.

So far, for those of you interested in what very much to me appears to be a high-quality kit and easy installation, I would most definitely recommend the HighLevel kit from Mike. He stands behind it, promotes his support and the kit was first class.

road1will

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bored with my 06 Z71 Tahoe, I've been looking at little projects that I can undertake to spruce up my ride. One of them was the HID Headlight conversion kit from HighLevel aka: Mike Johnson.

Mike had permission to advertise on the site and offered a kit to do a HID conversion on my ride so I decided to take a shot. His website looked quite professional and he offered a pretty satisfaction and support.

One member said his price, $149. was too expensive compared to eBay. Now granted, I do shop on eBay and look for odds and ends, but you tend to get what you pay for. You can find the HID lights pretty inexpensively, but they don't include the transformer and I don't know if that poster was aware of it.

I ordered the kit last week. My payment cleared late Friday, the kit shipped Monday and arrived yesterday. I just finished the install.

The box wasn't anything impressive and looked pretty generic if you ask me. All gold with a tag sheet on one side indicating what was in the box. The packing, however, was first class with the bulbs protected in styrofoam, in a plastic tube, and that and everything else was in styrofoam for protection.

The kit included the wiring harness, two bulbs and two transformers. You had to go online to get the instructions, which I felt should have been included, but such is life.

Installation, honestly, was a breeze. The hardest part of the installation, in my opinion, was determining where you had space to mount the transformers for each light. On the DS there was a bolt holding a support rod that went between the front grille and the side quarter panel that served well. On the other side I just drilled a self-taping screw into the front cross member and put the transformer next to the air cleaner.

I popped off the plastic top shield that covers radiator access and ran the wires across there, tying it off with twist tie.

Connections were straight forward. One hot going to the battery, one ground. There was one wire that connected to the DS light plug, which served basically as the relay trigger. The other connections on the harness connected to the transformers and they in turn fed the lights.

Again, finding the location for the transformers was the most challenging part, but aside from that, it took me all of about 30 minutes to do the install.

I have the 5000k version, the recommended k I understand and the ones that would match up with most of the cars. I was not interested in show, but in functionality and legality. I'll drive the car over the next few days and see how I like the night time illumination and report back.

So far, for those of you interested in what very much to me appears to be a high-quality kit and easy installation, I would most definitely recommend the HighLevel kit from Mike. He stands behind it, promotes his support and the kit was first class.

I also have the 5000k kit from Mike and could not be happier with my kit. Excellent product.

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
excellent review but what was your total cost minus shipping

MikeCallery

Reaction score
I assume that the price is the same for all vehicles, you'd have to check their website.

For my 06 Z71 Tahoe, the low beams were 9006 and that kit ran me $149. You can HID just about any light apparently, don't know where you'd put all the transformers, but I chose only to do my low beams.

Trend Setta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume that the price is the same for all vehicles, you'd have to check their website.

For my 06 Z71 Tahoe, the low beams were 9006 and that kit ran me $149. You can HID just about any light apparently, don't know where you'd put all the transformers, but I chose only to do my low beams.

higher level is the poo! Ordered mine from him, and they're still running strong :thumbsup:

Last edited:

MikeCallery

Reaction score
I'm sure you'll love them Greengumby. I think I said in my post, the most challenging part was where to mount the HID transformers. They are about 4 inches by 4 inches and come with excellent mounting brackets, but you need to get them close to the lights due to the limited cabling. The area with the light itself is pretty much taken up but with a little ingenuity, you'll find a spot and boy, do they look sweet!

Trend Setta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some "great" pictures of my ten thousand kelvin head light conversion kit. I purchased them from Mike. I am very "estatic" about them! :D lmao okay here ya go...When I type something up on here, it's as if I'm talking to one of my friends or a simple text message...not sending in an essay or homework to my professor :D

IMG_0280.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg

Last edited:

MikeCallery

Reaction score
Did you change out all the lights to the HID's or just the low-beams. I have to wonder if you did them all, where all the transformers would have had to fit?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
OK. Every post that had nothing to do with the topic was deleted. This is a TRUCK forum, guys; not a grammar course. If you don't like the terminology or slang someone uses, don't start an argument over it. This is the internet and there is a huge diversity of people here, so deal with it and please stay on topic. Thanks.

rustic

Reaction score
I recently installed a low beam set on my 03 tahoe and am very satisfied.
i also got it from mike and was very impressed with the quality.

only thing: i was worried that i may not had enough wire to reach the bulbs. but it could have been my routing path.

schuck

Reaction score
How do you get in touch with HighLevel or Mike? Does he have an online store and give Tahoe forum guests a discount?

Thanks
Steve

Jake

Reaction score
mike is a very good guy...i bought a kit from someone else but i didnt get the relay harness cause the guy didnt have it...so i pm mike and he is gonna sell me one very cheap compared to what i looked up online