My 96 Yukon is gonna die PLEASE HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MaKaVeLi

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I come to you with my 96 G-KON in critical conditon. Heres the story:

Here in NY, we got a major ice and snow storm, I was driving back from my grandmother's house (had to remove several huge trees that fell). I was in 4WD, I entered 2WD and left her driveway. I got a good 40 feet down the road and the truck started sputtering. It sounded like I wasnt running on all 8 cylinders. My Service Engine light started to blink (which Is never a good sign). I had no been able to get to a gas station that day because the entire upstate was out of power. I was on E, which is rarely even an issue, though I understand its not OK for the fuel pump. My first thought when it was spittin n sputterin was I'm running out of fuel. I finally find a gas station and put 3 gallons in because I had parked my truck, because I didnt think I could make it sitting in line for 10 minutes, so I filled up my gas can and then put it in my truck, once I finally got a place in line at the pump (and yes I looked like an idiot standing in line without a vehicle at a gas station). I finally get home and I plug in my scanner. My Codes are as follows: p0700 (Transmission COntrol System), P0300 (Random Multiple Misfire), P1406 and P1192 (undefined with my scanner, one is an EGR code which I couldn't care less about).

Any ideas, guys? The truck starts right up and drives (though I won't be driving it anywheres running on less than 8 cylinders and/or misfiring). My one mechanic had said he wondered if I had fryed my computer. My brother used to be a Service manager with Chevrolet, and he recommended going to advance auto and buying coils + a distributor and taking it from there.

Thanks to everyone who read this and please help me save ye olde G-KON. She's been so good to me. =0(

Rob

96 GMC YUKON 5.7L VORTEC :thumbsup:

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
Chances are, in my findings anyways, that the P0300 code is your root code. That code meant that an injector or several injectors were not poping off as they should have. You mentioned low fuel, that could have been the reason. Another is that running on low fuel killed your pump and it is now on life support.

Dont go running to the parts store buying a distributor, wires, plugs, and wires. IMHO that is just throwing parts at the problem, hoping you get lucky.

MaKaVeLi

Reaction score
Chances are, in my findings anyways, that the P0300 code is your root code. That code meant that an injector or several injectors were not poping off as they should have. You mentioned low fuel, that could have been the reason. Another is that running on low fuel killed your pump and it is now on life support.

Dont go running to the parts store buying a distributor, wires, plugs, and wires. IMHO that is just throwing parts at the problem, hoping you get lucky.
Thank you for replying. So what would you recommend doing? It did cross my mind the fuel pump But I, somewhat, threw away the idea of the fuel pump failing because it starts right up (the pump + the truck)

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
Like I typed, it could be on life support. Your best bet is to have your fuel pressure and volume checked and at the very least change out that fuel filter.

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
agree with sepiroth completely. check fuel pressure. may have sucked up junk from bottom of fuel tank. possibly clogging fuel filter and or frying pump. good luck, post your findings.

J.P.

Reaction score
if your going to change the fuel pump and filter make sure its a new one and not a remanufactured one, i had some bad luck with those remanufactured pumps from autozone and it just so much time to drop tank take out and put in new one again, go with summit racing or jegs, they got good stuff and great customer support their :mob:

41racing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending what the egr code is that could be your problem. If the egr valve gets stuck open it will cause the engine to miss and run very poorly (causing the p0300 random misfire code). The p0300 absoutely does not mean your injectors aren't "popping off", all it means is the engine is missing on several cylinders randomly. After you filled it up with gas did it run better or does it still run poorly? Does it run better if you get the rpm's up past 1500 or so? It sounds to me like your egr valve was stuck open a little, or you were running out of gas.

tahoeman21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Makaveli, do you remember the exact code for the PO300? Was it something like PO301, 302, 303? anything to that sort? the last digit on the code on PO300 indicates the cylinder number. It could be that one of your injectors went bad like Sepiroth states.