New to forum, flickering headlights problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris99tahoe

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the forum and am glad I found it. I have a 1999 Tahoe LT that for some reason has flickering headlights. It seems to be more noticeable at idle. Using the turn signals, radio, wipers, etc. does not affect it whatsoever. It doesn't have anything aftermarket added to it either. The headlights just flicker. Mechanic said all of my ground straps are fine. He tested the alternator and said it could be starting to fail however the battery always charges enough to start the vehicle. The engine is out of a 97 Suburban. I don't know if it had this problem before the engine swap as I didn't acquire the vehicle until after the fact but I have the receipts and the work was done by a reputable shop. It runs absolutely perfect. It has done this since I've owned it and I'd like to get it figured out as I don't want to have a problem on the road in the future. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! I should add that it also won't charge my cellphone but the cellphone is fine.

Last edited:

sntrym95

Reaction score
I'd start with making sure the ignition switch wiring is secure under the dash. I'd also check the head light switch in the dash as well.