Rear axle fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ronyo

Reaction score
In the 2004 owners manual service schedule there is no mention of replacing the rear axle fluid.
I'm interested to know What do you guys do, do you change it? leave it there for life?

Jeff M

Reaction score
I have changed mine twice, @75k and 150K miles. Each time I change it I do a close inspection of the pinion and ring gear looking for any damage, there is always fine metallic debris on the magnet inside the cover plate but that of course is normal. So far so good, I have had no problems with the rear axle and I have done quite a bit of towing. I hope this helps.

Ronyo

Reaction score
Great, thanks Jeff.
How did you come up with the number 75 ?
service manual, or just experience.
I'm now at 76k.

Jeff M

Reaction score
I don't remember seeing anything in the manual about it, I just have always tried to do that with my trucks and as a result have never had a major problem. As I mentioned I tow with the Tahoe quite a bit so a lot of pressure is placed on the gears. It is a good idea to keep a close eye on the front gearbox as well (if you have a 4WD) as the axle tube seals seep and over time it will practically run it dry, they take 2 different lubes so make sure and check the book.