Wheel-Tire choice for my '97 Tahoe 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
An update, I backed out of buying the Black Rhino 22x9.5 Pondora Silver Wheels and Nitto NT420S 305/40-22 Tires used from a seller.

Decided to look at new instead for a number of reasons.

From two choices I've basically made, with both the same model wheels-tires, but different sizes for the '97 Tahoe from Discount Tire Direct.

The exact same brand new tire-wheel combo above shipped free, lugs, stems, replacement warrantee included at $2123.00. Or.........

Four BR Pondora Silver in 20x8.5", with four Nitto NT420S 275/55-20, with all the same lugs, stems, warrantee, at $1682.00 shipped.

At this point, I do have some concerns about going with the larger 22" wheel-tire, with the possibility of fender-fenderwell, or suspension component rub, and then a possible later need of Torsion Bar Leveling Keys, Lift Blocks, the whole smear, etc to make such properly work without any worry of rub.

The other is of course the additional weight, and also the additional cost.

Other brain farts is the larger tire-wheel combo offering a harsher ride as well with a slighter skinnier aspect ratio of the tires.
Mark

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont do tires/wheels, especially at those prices...... sorry.....

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on a budget, Peanuts is about all I can afford to accesorize with..... :) I would love to just have some new stock tires much less anything else.....

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DSCN0270.JPG

One observation, the 20" BR Pondora, and Nitto NT420S 275/55-20 Tires today actually cost about $150 less than these 16" OW Wheels, and Michelin LTX 275/70-16 M/S that I bought years ago and currently reside on the truck. (Which were $1800)

Just to go to a 17" back then, an Antera 6 spoke Painted Wheel with 17" Tires I also looked at, they wanted just about another $1000.00 ($2800).

While Tires have gone up in price, it appears that many aftermarket wheels have come down. Either new manufacturing methods, or perhaps overseas manufacture might be reasons?

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I pretty much answered my own questions, and that my suspicions are probably correct about the fitting of 22x9.5 wheels, and 305/40-22 tires, that on a straight run down a smooth street, no issues, until I possibly make a sharp turn, or enter-exit parking lots, and "work" the suspension.

Yeah, the look might be sweet, but with possible clearance-rub issues, I don't wish to then only relegate the vehicle to solely being a "Boulevard Cruiser", and ruining the true purpose, and other aspects of what these vehicles were originally designed to do.

Thanks anyways Lester, you've helped me here in the past, and it is deeply appreciated sir. Mark

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post up pics of the wheels your interested in and we can help figure out what would look best :)

http://www.tsw.com/img/truck-wheels-rims-black-rhino-pondora-6-lug-both-silver-lay-700.jpg

Hello 07burb,
I was thinking of sticking with the same Black Rhino Pondora Wheel, but instead of a 22x9.5, to go with a 20x8.5 instead. Above is a link to the pic of this BR Pondora Wheel, just imagine it in 20".

I'm glad I did see this wheel recently in person, as I personally think it an attractive wheel, it is available in the Silver finish with machine mirror polished spoke faces and rim, also all Chrome, or Black with machine polished face and lip.

Being that I'm 59 years old, this alu wheel which as I understand is powdercoated silver (Barrel, and sides of spokes) with just nice polishing versus all chrome, to me looks a little more classy-sophisticated in a way, not too much bling, which bling in this neck of the woods is more likely to get me pulled over by the fuzz.

The chrome version of this wheel though does also look nice from at least the pics I have seen online. Tough choice!
Mark

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In any case, and whatever wheel choice I decide on, like I mentioned in my other recent thread, I'll probably order a bottle of CarPro CQuartz UK, and coat all wheels with this durable coating to protect them long term.

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, I did get a new Hankook 245/75-16 Spare Tire from Discount Tire Direct ($124 shipped free) and had it mounted about a 1/2 hour ago.

Tomorrow I'll throw this back under the truck. The original BFG Long Trail T/A had never been used, but I don't trust it, being a 17 year old tire.
Mark

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are going on my 96 2 door. My rig is black, and is leveled. A recent test fit showed they should fit fine with 295/45/20 that it was mocked up with. Oh, and for giggles: I am the "fuzz" in the neighboring city, we generally don't pay too much attention to the wheel fitment...lol

http://www.kmcwheels.com/wheels/KM671/KM6715?year=1996&make=Chevrolet&model=Tahoe 4WD

That's a nice looking "clean" wheel too, I like it also. It bears some similarities to the Wheel I'm wanting to get (Black Rhino Pondora)

Doing a quick search, I seem to find that 295/45-20 is an unusual size.

Just thinking, I would guess it is probably close in diameter to 275/55-20 or 285/50-20, but perhaps a little wider?

I know in the two sizes I just mentioned, there's ususally a lot more tire options to be had from various makers.

I agree that these two sizes I just mentioned do IMO seem "small", and even after gawking at many 20's over the past year, even these after awhile seem "smallish" to me.

Some of the other sizes I have personally looked at, like on some large Dodge 4x4's, like 285/60-20 or 295/60-20 I think might be just a little too large to squeeze under a stock Tahoe without some lift mods. I cannot envision them fitting under mine without some sort of issues.

I'm still thinking of a 22", and again, dependent upon offset, and tire size selection with a 22x9.5 wheel, I imagine tire choice and offset will be critical to not running into any rub-clearance problems on a stock ride height Tahoe.

Most seem to say (Black Rhino-Discount Tire-Carid) that the 22x9.5 BR Pondora/Pandora with a +25mm offset will fit my '97 with a 285/45-22 Nitto 421Q Tire.

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I like about this wheel you have selected, as well as the BR Pondora, is there's no center trim cap.

There's plusses and minuses IMO of either.

One, with such a wheel as this KMC you wish to choose, or the BR Pondora, it will most likely mean the need of a nice soft Lug Nut Brush. That over time, dirts, brake dust, etc will get in the little nooks and crannies. No biggie, there are such brushes that can be gotten. I'll probably opt for just regular Chrome Lugs, and probably get a set of 4 locks as well.

Now with wheels with the center caps, virtually all custom wheels I have ever seen, this center cap is plastic, and then use some sort of special wrench bit to secure the one retaining screw. These can sometimes be slightly ill fitting, don't match the rest of the wheel, especially over time, scratch easier than chromed metal, and can crack, especially if one gets a little too liberal with torqueing forces on the machine threaded screw that holds the cap on. The only advantage IMO that they possess is that they keep the lugs cleaner, that's about it.

I've gone through this plastic center cap ordeal with the current set on my truck, and I think I just don't really want to go there again with plastic center caps.

With any new wheels I will buy, without a doubt they will be getting coated with some form of high tech ceramic, or resin coating. The two choices I'll either go with, will be Carpro CQuartz UK Ceramic Coating, or Optimum's Opti-Coat. Two coatings such as this will last considerably much longer, and protect much better than any conventional Wax, or Synthetic Sealant.

They'll of course receive such coatings in and out. Not cheap these coatings, but they'll repel dirts, brake dusts, moisture for a long long time, and protect the investment.
Mark

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other disadvantage-downside of exposed Lug Nuts like on the Pondora, or this KMC Wheel you have chosen, can be the careless use of lug wrenches, and Impact Guns.

Get some careless goon, with a Lug Wrench-Impact Wrench Socket, and not caring how he mounts-dismounts such wheels, and they'll chew the living crap out of the Lug Nut Hole Recesses.
Mark

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I generally look to Autogeek.com for all my detailing needs at present. Not only for chemicals such as Waxes-Sealants, or these special Coatings, but as well tools.

Shopping locally for specialty lug nut brushes will be an excersize in futility, and nothing but a waste of gas, and time here.

As for cleaning any wheel that has been coated with one of these high tech durable coatings I previously mention,, there will never be a need to resort to harsh cleaners, many of which often are either highly acidic, or alkaline. The same mild car soaps used to clean the paint on your vehicle will be all that will be needed on the wheels. Often, most dirts-contaminants just rinse off with a garden hose, or high pressure washer.
Mark

Last edited:

lwcools

Reaction score
The 295/45 I used for mock up definitely is an odd size. The tester wheel/tire is off of friends street truck and I'm not sure where he found the "el cheapo" tires. He burns em up about every 3-4 months. Realistically speaking I will probably go to my buddies at Discount Tire and snag a set of LT285/55 Nitto Grapplers (around $1200 mounted and balanced etc. with certs) They should be pretty close to the mock up and I do still have a little room to crank on the torsion bars if needed. I haven't looked into the offset on my set up yet, but if I wait till she's lifted a bit more, I can go negative and have the real wide stance (I'm hoping to have the desert/trail truck look eventually).

The +25mm on yours should draw the wheels up under the fenders nicely and I don't really see any issues with the tire size, unless the fender wells have been bent for gearbox/idler arm access or swap, which seems to be really common. If that's the case then they'll rub on the inner front every time. Easy enough to fix with a pair of snips though and nobody will see it unless they go looking. There might be some issue with flexing the suspension vertically, but turning on road surfaces shouldn't be a problem.

The Nitto 421Q is great tire. I suspect the reason its being recommended is the shoulders are a little rounder than some of the more aggressive tires, thereby giving that extra little bit of clearance inside the fender.

I think the bottom line would be to go to your local tire shop and have them mount up some 22x9.5 with the +25 offset (any style will work for the mock since if the diameter, width and offset are the same) and the Nitto 421Q and see how they fit. If the dealer wants your business, they'll mock it up for you and help you get set up for your truck.

As for the careless goons, you're right and the only way I know to deal with it is to hold the dealer/shop accountable or order the set mounted and install on your own. I gigged a body shop for two wheels on my wife's lancer after she turned a Pyrenees into roadkill. They took the wheels off to mount the new fenders etc, and tore the brand new enkeis up. When we picked up the car, I spoke with the manager, showed him the pictures from the day we dropped it off and the shop coughed up almost $500 for the replacements.

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over the years, I have owned many brands of truck tires. Dunlops, Goodyears, Michelins, BFG.

Goodyear is a tire I don't think I'll ever buy again in this lifetime, either for truck, or car, same with BFG.

I've always done well with Michelin, they're commonly at the top end of price regardless, and generally do the least bit wrong of all tires. Good in rain, snow, mileage, quiet, the LTX I have on board the Tahoe right now has been a good all around tire. Problem is with Michelin, they seem to have little in the way of specialty tires that might be desired for off road use.

Biggest general downside with Michelin, beaucoup dollars, and many say some of such is due to the massive amount of advertising they do.

I've owned all terrains, and rough terrain-mud terrain tires in the past on GMC Trucks, Dodge Trucks, and Jeeps. Yes, if one commonly encounters such in day to day driving, then one usually needs to make the sacrifices of quiet, and smooth for a more aggressive tread design.

If I was living in Wisconsin, Minnesota, or perhaps up in the mountains here, or often in and out of the mountains here, where there's good accumilations of snow, and many roads just being just dirt and gravel, I'd no doubt be looking to something like one of the Nitto Grappler Tires myself. But 99.5% of my driving is on road, so thus, I want a good all season tire, sort of sporty, yet still good in both dry, wet conditions, and the occasional snow the truck would see here. The Nitto 421Q, or maybe the Nitto NT420S seems to be the most logical choices.

The Hankook sport tire (forget the name offhand right now), with the cool directional tread is a nice looking tire, but also this is a downfall of the tire in a way that it is directional. I'm still thinking that for my own personal needs, and likes, the Nitto 421Q will ne the best way to go.

I'd like seeing this 421Q tire, at least in some similar size as to what I want, to see what the sidewall looks like? One thing I'm hating on a lot of new modern tires, is a seemingly overdone abundance of little ribs-corrugating on the tire, which IMO is a literal PITA to clean, and treat with tire care products. A little bit, yeah OK, but the whole damn sidewall covered in ribs, no, I really dislike this feature.
Mark

Last edited: