02 tahoe bad knock sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02TahoeBoy

Reaction score
The "service engine soon" light came on a day ago and i just got it checked out. The shop says it's my Knock sensor. I know what it is and what it does but i was wondering if this is something i can fix myself. Also, if anyone could give me a detailed location of this thing that'd be great. It's a 2002 2wd Tahoe LS with the 5.3L V8. All i know is it's under the intake, which sounds like an excuse to get a K&N to me *EDIT*: Wanted to add this incase it can help, the code that came up is P0196.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Knock sensors (there are two) are located on the lifter valley cover underneath the intake manifold. You'll need to remove the entire manifold/plenum/fuel rail assembly to access them.

41racing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a common problem on the 5.3's. The knock sensor is probably all corroded up. It sits down in a well in the valley pan and collects mositure. You will likely need a harness too. On the new one the tsb says to seal the harness with silicone so it don't happen again.