03 Z71 tahoe: lifting to run 33's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwterry3

Reaction score
Getting time for tires soon and really want to go with big 33's on stock wheels.

Currently all I have done is crank the front stock keys all the way up so I can run 285 70 17's which I still had to trim to not rub bad.

Debating A) ford front keys plus bilstein all around or B) 2.5 inch lift kit install.

Please let me know opinions and price links if someone has done this research for me. I did search for an hr but all the threads are very confusing

Donut Slayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell me about the confusing part. :help: I've been researching the same thing. I cranked my keys all the way but I'm still not quite level. Mine is a 2004 Z71 Tahoe. 285-70-17's are 33" tall, or very close to it. They should fit with just cranked keys. Rough Country makes a kit that has keys, rear spacers (3/4") and comes with shocks for $260 or so. Thats what I'd do with 285's. With the RC kit you should get 3/4" lift in rear with a 2" or so lift in the front to level the truck. I know of a few people who have used ford keys or the ebay keys, with 2" rear spacers and new shocks and can fit 315-70-17's on their trucks. I have even seen 35-12.5-17's on keys and spacers. They said they had to trim the fender liner some.
I'm still debating on what I'm gonna do. I really want 315-70-17's on stock aluminum wheels. I'm most likely gonna go with ebay keys, 2" alum spacers in rear, and aftermarket shocks. That should give me enough lift that with minor trimming, to fit 315-70-17's on there.

CaseyLeeAllen

Reaction score
I'm Wanting to do the same. Except i think i'm gonna go 3 inches, Do you think 35's would fit on with a 3inch lift?

Fast803

Reaction score
Im just gonna man up and get the 6' touch country lift and crank the front keys up a tad bit to make it squat and run 35's

Stephens97

Reaction score
If I get just ford keys will I need new shocks I only need to lift about and inch and a quarter in the front to be level?

Donut Slayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe I was told once that 1" the stock shock was fine, but 1.5 and you'll probably need new, longer ones. So take that for what its worth.

jrobertson

Reaction score
Quick question guys; I am also new on the whole Tahoe thing. I recently installed 3 inch lift keys. The guy at the alignment shop told me maxing the keys out would cause the steering wheel to jerk violently when you hit a bump. Is this true? Im only sitting a half inch higher in the front than the back. I was really hoping for more clearance. Can you guys tell me how much is the max to turn the keys up without causing trouble? I still have almost a full inch of threads showing on my torsion key bolts. I have seen where several people are sitting a full 1.5"-2" higher in the front than the rear which is what I had hoped for so that I could put a 1 inch spacer in the rear and still be above level in the front. I like the squatted look. Do you guys have any measurement on how much threads you have left on your bolts? I assume some of these guys have them ran all the way up.