07 Tahoe Front Bearing Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plimbob

Reaction score
What is the best way to remove the bearing assembly on the 07 Tahoe, wheel puller or slide hammer?? I have not these before but wanted to ask before I started.

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Neither... All you need to do is once you get the tire off is take the brake caliper off as a complete unit by un-bolting the top and bottom bolt with a 18mm socket dont know if you have an impact gun but you will need a 1/2 inch drive 18mm socket with a good sized breaker bar if you dont have access to a impact gun there on there pretty tight once you get the caliper off you will need a size 30 torx to get the screw that holds the brake roter to the hub assy... with the rotor off you will now need to turn the wheel all the way to the right to gain access to the back side of the hub there are 3 15mm bolts holding the hub to the spindal take those 3 bolts off and that will get your front hub bearing assy off you may need to turn the wheels all the way to the left to get the last of the 3 bolts off they are in a triangular pattern set 1 on top and 2 at the bottom in a split formation... hope that helps

Plimbob

Reaction score
07 Tahoe Bearing removal

Bowtie,

Thanks for the information. Will the assembly just slide off the spindle after removing the 3 bolts securing it?

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it will. . Just make sire you pay attention the brake rotor backing plate in the position its in so you don't put back on backwards or the wrong way you also want to disconnect the ABS wheel speed sensor and remove the routing retainer clips off the upper control arm of the sensor wiring harness first dont want to damage the harnesses connector

Plimbob

Reaction score
2007 Wheel Bearing Removal

Bowtie,

I am just now getting to the removal of the bearing on my 2007 tahoe, I read your instructions and have a question. Don't you have to remove the axle nut and if so what is size of the nut - is it 36mm?

Plimbob

Reaction score
Bearing removal

Bowtie,

I don't have an impact but I do have a 1/2 breaker bar? I figure its going to be tough. How do you secure the axle from turning?

Thanks your help is much appreciated!

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put a bar between the lug nut studs going to need 2 people one to hold to bar to keep from turning and the other to break it loose

Plimbob

Reaction score
Bearing removal

Bowtie,

Well, I have all the bolts off and the bearing assembly does not want to break loose and slide off. I tapped the bearing housing with a screwdriver and hammer but it didn't loosen. I didn't want to beat on it..... any suggestions?

Thanks,
Plimbob

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well im suspecting its a 1500 series right 6 lugs.. so you took off the 3 bolts that have a 15 mm hex head that go thru the rear of the hub assy and the 36mm axle nut right if you have those off it should come right out but sometimes they do get rusted in there so you will need to beat it out with a hammer it'll come out as long as you have those mentioned nut and bolts

Plimbob

Reaction score
Bearing removal

Yes, its a 1500 series with 6 lugs. I have the axle nut off and the three bolts in the triangular pattern on the back. Sounds like brute force is the solution at this point.

Plimbob

Reaction score
Bearing removal

Bowtie,

No - that mother won't come out of there. I beat that sucker didn't budge. I went and rented a 5lb slide hammer and that did budge it. At this point I am at a loss what the heck to do next, other than take it to a shop!

Any ideas???

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow thats insane.... now is it stuck on the spindle or the axle.. another question is where are you at.. State ? Is it in the snow or do you do water/mud off roading ?

Plimbob

Reaction score
Bearing removal

I am in Iowa lots of salt,etc in the winter. No off roading. I did spray penetrating oil on it and I used a torch to heat the assembly,etc. I got in backside and tried to loosen it by tapping the inside of the housing with a punch for a half hour or so. Thta was a waste of time.

This is a real pisser... I guess I am putting it together and taking it to the shop. I have run out of methods, tools and time.

I really appreciate your help on this.

Plimbob

Reaction score
Bearing removal

YUP... I am sure that I'll get a spanking on this but the @#$ got to have it changed.

I would think the other bearing would be loose but it doesn't appear to be when you give it the wheel test there isn't any play? You find that odd?