2001 Chevy Tahoe Heat Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bobby

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm new here.

2001 Tahoe, the front heater blows a little hot air when the car warms up and then blows cold air. The rear heat seems to work fine. I changed my blower resistor over the summer. Any suggestions.

Thanks
Bobby

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first thing I ask myself or anyone else when something stops working is….. What did you change?
Sounds like you already have it figured out. I would start there.

Bobby

Reaction score
Hi,
I changed blower resistor over the summer. Are you saying that the blower resistor is not good ??
The heater was working few days ago.
When I turn of the heater and put it back on after few minutes, I get hot air for a minute then it gets cooler.

Thanks
Bobby

GMTECH56

Reaction score
Your blower resistor has nothing to do with oulet temp. I have had a few of these that had the air temp actuator failure, but I would take it to a dealer and have them scan the HVAC module to see if any codes are stored before I started replacing parts.

grog71

Reaction score
Did you guys ever figure out the problem, I had my 01 front heat blowing cold this morning. But the back was working fine. So after I wated a few hours to take it in for some service it was blowing hot air again. of course the service place could not find any issues. Any suggestions?

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did this about a year ago. I replaced everything including the entire heater controller assembly. STILL didn't work. Finally I removed both lines from he heater core at the fire wall. Back flushed the core with a garden hose and Walla! Hot as hell... been working great every since. 15 minutes and its free... wish I would have started there...... - DB

thedude337

Reaction score
how many miles on it, these motors are supposed to make 100k before service mine has 150k and has been doing it for a while i did change the coolant and flush the core but it still wont get hot up front ive been throwing around the idea of taking it in and getting it properly flushed. chances are if i hadnt waited so long i could of flushed it myself with success.

NJTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went through it all with the heat this past weekend. I went and had the coolant flushed at pepboys and the heat was working as I drove off from pepboys. The next day no heat. My buddy is a mechanic but lives an hour away so it's not so easy to go over and work on the tahoe with him but I finally made it over there and we flushed the entire system again after the pepboys flush, which was a waste of money if you ask me. We drained everything and went to run the garden hose through the heater core and it was just spitting back in our faces. We ran some water through and it once it came out clean I put in some cooling system flush cleaner and let it run through for a while. I drained it again and started flushing it again and a crap more gunk came out and then the heat started working again! I put some fresh coolant in but another problem now is the Blend Door Actuator. It's not working so i have it disconencted and the heat is working better than ever. I am going to pick up the part in the next day or 2 and put the new actuator on. I really don't car as long as the heat works.

goat364

Reaction score
Mine did this about a year ago. I replaced everything including the entire heater controller assembly. STILL didn't work. Finally I removed both lines from he heater core at the fire wall. Back flushed the core with a garden hose and Walla! Hot as hell... been working great every since. 15 minutes and its free... wish I would have started there...... - DB

When you say yours did this a year ago, did it do the blow hot for a 15-60 seconds then go cold? Because i did a driveway cooling system flush this summer and then found my REAR heat wasn't working this fall. Mine does the... blow hot for under a minute then turns cold. If i shut off the truck and restart it, it blows hot for a few seconds again.

NJTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you say yours did this a year ago, did it do the blow hot for a 15-60 seconds then go cold? Because i did a driveway cooling system flush this summer and then found my REAR heat wasn't working this fall. Mine does the... blow hot for under a minute then turns cold. If i shut off the truck and restart it, it blows hot for a few seconds again.

Is there rear heat on all models? I don't have any heat in the rear vents and a buddy of mine told me it's only for the AC. There is a switch to turn the fans on but no thermostat control on the rear switch.

goat364

Reaction score
Mine has rear heat. And it worked last winter. Theres a temp controll from 66-88degrees above the rearview mirror and a digital temp control, on the back of the center console, for the rear passengers to use that ranges from 60-90degrees.