2001 Chevy Tahoe will crank, but wont start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylord123

Reaction score
My father passed away two and a half years ago and have a chevy tahoe. It has been sitting at my brother's house ever since this last weekend. I went and got it on friday and drove it back to my place here. Some stupid neighbor called the cops on my place for partying when no one was even here, so right when I got here they impounded my vehicle for no insurance. I ended up just getting it out Monday and ran it over to Big O's Tires and they replaced all tires, shocks, did the inspection, and all of that good stuff (and yes, I have it insured now).

After I got done at the shop it was running great and I drove it to my house without any issues. I later decided to go to walmart (within a mile of my house) to get some things with my girlfriend. Was running great the whole way there, no issues what-so-ever. Once we came out of walmart we tried to start it and it would just keep cranking but wouldn't start. The battery was fine, but someone still helped me jump it without any luck. They then gave me a ride to the gas station and I got 5 gallon's of gas (the gas meter is broken, so I had no idea how much was in car) and filled it up with that. I never took out the old bad gas (have no clue how much was in there, I believe it was less then a quarter tank, probably 1/8th a tank cause meter works sometimes). I'm wondering if the bad gas may have ruined the fuel pump but I am hoping the fuel filter is just clogged.

I'm a computer programmer and don't really know much about cars and all my buddies that do have moved away. I'm hoping it wont be an expensive fix because I have dumped so much money into the car (new shocks & tires were really expensive, they costed me $1100 for just that). I made sure the shop filled up the coolant, checked oil, and all of that.

Is there anything you guys recommend for fixing it? I've been up all night looking around on the internet trying to figure it out.. Going to wait till 7-8am and call into the repair store and get their opinion as well as a couple other personal repair men I know. I'm really hoping it isn't a big issue.. I need to get my girlfriend back to the other town because she was supposed to be here just for the weekend and has a big test for college tomorrow. I was hoping to be able to bring her back until this happened.

I did notice that some guys posted it may be a security problem with the truck, but the security light isn't on when cranking. Just the battery light. So I don't think that is the issue, but one guy in particular said his computer in the car had to be reset.. I want to get this handled asap.. Any recommendations? I'm hoping it's just the bad gas that may have been giving it issues.. But It started right away on the bad gas and didn't have any issues when I filled it up with $50 worth. I'm wondering if it got low and started getting all the crud from the tank clogging the filter and giving the pump issues.. gah..

Sorry for long post.. Just want to be descriptive as possible.. Really need to get this figured out asap. :help:

Tex99Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coupla quickie checks: See what a diagnostic scanner says. Also, check fuel pressure at the test port. Lastly, check fuses, underhood and in instrument panel...

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What engine is in this truck? 5.3l is another forum if it is a 2001.....

Buy a cheap can of carburator cleaner, pull the duct off the intake have someone crank while you spray some into the intake. If it fires, you have a fueling issue. If it dont fire then you have igntion.

5.3l is a little different than the 5.7l that is in the year model in this part of the forum.