2002 LS stock suspension questions..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jonnyquest

Reaction score
Hey all, new here. Picked up an 02 Tahoe LS. Love it, but the prior owner said the front shocks had been replaced recently. After driving is some, the Tahoe feels like its riding on po-go sticks. Bouncy, bouncy, bouncy.

The front shocks are yellow, not sure if those are the original shocks.

Anyway, looking at replacing the shocks unless there's a way to adjust the bounce. Not wanting to spend a lot, so recommendations of affordable shocks. And, having never replaced shocks on a vehicle prior, is this an easy do-it-yourself job?

Thanks!
Jon

sbowen

Reaction score
Those aren't stock shocks. If there is a way to adjust them it should be pretty obvious there will be an adjustment knob on the shock itself. Most aftermarket shocks for this vehicle application are a lot more stiff. Don't have the ride qualities of stock but cost about 1/3 of factory options.

samotahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it says bilstein on it then they can be. i would check to see if the top nut on the shock is secure. had the same issue with my truck. turns out whoever installed the shocks before i bought the truck stripped the nut so it would pop out of place and the front suspension was just riding on the torsion bars with no shock absorbance. if not then you might need the new shocks.

ccapehart1017

Reaction score
okay my tahoe is the same as johnny quests and is doing exactly what he described
but im pretty sure the shocks are original or havent been replaced in along time
mine are also just flat black the same color as the rest of the suspension with no label or markings that i can see everyone ive spoke to says i need new shocks
this is my first 2wd i used to just buy rancho rs5000 before on the 4x4 vehicles that ive owned so what would you guys recommend for shocks not lookin for top of the line or el cheapo's somethin middle range i also got 20" rims on my tahoe if that has any bearing