2003 vs 2005 Suburban (or Yukon XL)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbeall

Reaction score
Hi All,

We're looking at a 2003 Yukon XL at the moment. I had one friend tell me that "he thinks he remembers hearing" that the 2003 and/or 2004 powertrain had some problems that was corrected in either the 2005 model year.

I've been searching on this and haven't come up with anything conclusive that would indicate this rumor he heard is true. I've seen a handful of people complaining of various issues, but they don't seem to be isolated to just the 2003 or 2004 model years. Generally speaking it seems like people are happy with their Suburbans/Yukon XLs, so long as they maintain them... but now that my friend has given me this red flag I'm second guessing my decision to buy this Yukon XL. This is going to be a family vehicle (for a big family), and we *don't* want to have to be putting major bucks into the powertrain in just a few years. We can't afford it! We want to get a dependable vehicle that we can take good care of and get many, many years of use out of.

I thought I'd get some feedback from the good folks here. Any issues with the 2003 model year I need to be aware of? The particular Yukon XL we're looking at has 47,000 miles on it. We test drove it and it ran fine for us; we tried it on the highway up to 65mph, although just for 5 minutes or so.

-Josh

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
First off Josh, welcome to the forum. You know you will find a lot of useful information here. So a good choice to pick this site.

Secondly, I own a 2002 Suburban. Whereas I can not offer any information on the particular years you're looking for, I can offer my opinons on my 2002.

jbeall

Reaction score
Interested in your opinion on your 2002

Secondly, I own a 2002 Suburban. Whereas I can not offer any information on the particular years you're looking for, I can offer my opinons on my 2002.

I'm interested--what are your opinions on the 2002?

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
The reason I went with a 2002 was because of the instrument cluster issues on the 03-06 model year truck. It's a qucik fix but for me, it's a pain I can live without.

The same goes for picking a 2wd over a 4wd truck. IMHO, around here, there is no need for a 4x4, unless you wanna have fun.

Also I wanted to have rear disc brakes. I forget what year they went to drum rear brake designs.

I do however do not like the added work involved to add a double din radio in the 2000-2002 trucks. But, that's ok there are plenty nice single din radios out there with dvd.

I will say that the interior on 03-06 trucks looks less truck like.

jbeall

Reaction score
What were the instrument cluster issues on the 2003-2006 model years?

The reason I went with a 2002 was because of the instrument cluster issues on the 03-06 model year truck. It's a qucik fix but for me, it's a pain I can live without.

What were the instrument cluster issues on the 2003-2006 model years?

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
Oh certain lights would come on. The speedo would stop working. The mileage would get screwy.

It's a simple fix. There stores on ebay that will swap and repair your cluster for I think 200 tops.

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
Way to go! IIWY, I would make sure with w GM dealer to be sure that is the case. Especially since you would be buying this vehicle used.

There may be some sort of stipulation stating new vehicle owner, or something like that.

burbanman03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I can talk on both the 03 I own now and the 01 I had. the 01 was great I loved it 8 seater config. 4x4 everything. 125K when I sold it I had put brand new monoroe shocks on it. 12-15 mpg's. Bought my 03 complete other world so much nicer ride even with 110K with original shocks. alot more get up and go power plus 15-18mpg's

Now I didn't think there would be this big of a difference but was I wrong now as far as the cluster issue easy and inexpensive fix really.

BTW I am a dealer so I could buy and drive what ever I want (to a Point) but this 03 have now has been my favorite I had a 03 denali on the lot for a while and I honestly had bought it to replace my burban but after I drove it I liked my burban better mainly cause the nali was AWD and plus that 6.0 eats gas so I sold it and kept the burban that deal on the 03 you are looking at sounds pretty darn good to me

burbanman03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trade d them to a guy for these 22's straight across i had to put tires on them but he had just bought his tahoe older guy in his 60's did not want the 22's so lucky for me my local tire shop and I are freinds

burbanman03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya i am sitting here wait n for the tirre shop to call i had them put on a 305/40/22 on friday and i hate them so they ordered me a 305/45/22 that is supposed to be here anytime now and i am inpatient

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
I am impatiently waiting for spring to get here so I can start to look for some 20in wheels and tires. My truck and I are jonesin' bad.

nummyx6

Reaction score
I have and 03 Yuk XL with 136k on it. Just had the transmission checked on a computer and the guy told me it was perfect. I have owned the truck since about 66k and the only issue that I have had, was a fuel pump (twice) and water pump both of which i replace myself. Oh yeah, i had the cluster problem also. I just fixed it myself. I bought the stepper motors off of ebay and installed them in about 30 minutes. Fixed everything for about $30. I just tuned it with plugs and wires at about 125, and didn't really even notice a difference afterwards. Only did it cause i thought it was time. I change the oil when the light comes on telling me to (about 4k-7k between) and change the fluid and filter on the transmission about every 50k. I work on my own stuff, but I don't get carriead away with changing oil every 3k and such. I am about to put a couple of inner tie rods ends on it, but hey, for 136k I don't think that is too bad. Besided my drive way is about 1200 feet long and it is dirt. So needless to say, it isn't always as smooth as I would like it, and my wife drives about 30mph down it so it takes a beating. This is our second XL. The first was an 02. I liked it better, but only because it has the cloth interior instead of the leather. That is one complait I have. With 4 kids and two adults, the leather doesn't hold up nearly as well as the cloth. At least that was the case with the two i have owned.

Good luck and enjoy.

jbeall

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I wound up going with the 2003 Yukon XL, and we're very happy with it. We've already had the instrument cluster replaced, but the dealership that we got it from took care of it for us at no cost. It had the usual cluster issue.