2004 Tahoe Z71 With Issues!! Need Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davidatribble

Reaction score
Ok so I bought a 2004 Z71 Tahoe the other day and it has a lot of issues that I can't figure out!

1. When you turn the key on and try to start it, it won't start. It does click or anything when trying to turn it I've. Also all the lights on the instrument panel go out. The security light is on and I read some where that you can do this 3 step process to clear the code. I did that and didn't help. Put anew starteron and still the same thing. But if you cross the starter with the key turned over it'll start right up!! I don't understand.

2. When you turn the vehicle on it says Service 4WD. Well when you engage the 4WD in either 4 high or 4 low, you can hear it engage put the light is flashing in which ever one your trying to engage and doesn't stop. The 4WD doesn't work but you can hear it engage!

3. When you turn the Air Conditioning on, not matter if you have it pointing at your feet or face all it'll do is blow out the defrost vents??

4. My parking brake light is on with the brake disengaged?? I think the cable may stay engaged a little bit and you can smell the brakes getting Hott if you drive it don't the road 2 miles?? Idk how to disengage it?!

5. When in overdrive it acts like it doesn't have enough power to take off real fast. It's sluggish. If you stop on a incline it will not pull itself up it unless you drop it down in low gear? In overdrive on gravel at a dead stop it will not spin the tires?? But in 1st gear it will?? Idk if it has to do with the parking brake being engaged some or not?! But the engine has not leaks what so ever and neither does the transmission! Doesn't blow smoke or anything so I don't think it's anything to do with that. But idk!

6. The passenger side taillight will come on sometimes and will go off shortly afterwards. The bulbs appear to be fine but I'm replacing them today to make sure that isn't the case.

I really appreciate the help if anyone out there has had any of these problems!!