2009 Tahoe warm AC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BaronAlm

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I will try and keep this short. I have read quite a few threads to attempt to solve my problem without posting, to no avail.
My wife has an '09 Tahoe that recently began blowing only warm air up front with slightly cooler air in the rear when all set on high AC. The fans are blowing strong and are fairly clean and undamaged, no seen issues with the blend doors as all selections correspond with what is selected, bought some AC Pro with a gauge that read around 52 pounds obviously on the low press port, when the AC is on, the compressor clutch engages beautifully...

So obviously I have an issue. My questions and info to all you gracious professionals...
1) For a 2009 Tahoe, is a reading of 52 on the low port indicative of over pressurization? And would that cause warm air with AC? I did not add any refrigerant after seeing that. When the AC is turned off, the reading spikes past the "red" and "pegs out". Is that normal? I have never serviced or messed with this AC system as we have never had any issues. It has always blown so cold, you needed a Parka. Obviously I am ignorant on this topic. I did notice that on the line with the larger port (I'm assuming the high pressure port), with the AC running, the line from the port back toward the firewall was ice cold and just before the line reaches the port, it's significantly hot (right past the connection of this main line). Is that normal?

2) Here is an event preceding the problem. 2 weeks ago, we took a trip to Gulf Shores AL from Ft Worth Texas and about 3/4 of the way, on the passenger side, under the dash, water/condensation began dripping on my wife's feet (A drop or two every 15-30 seconds) and the carpet eventually became damp. Upon some hard turns, it poured out from under there. It was not raining and the water was ice cold. This has been happening intermittently since that trip. Is this a common problem? We've never noticed this before. Indicative of a clogged line? :shrug:

3) The air began to do this 2 days ago.

Again fellas, I've read through a lot of material here and I am still lost. I'm kind of partial to not using dealerships because my @$$hole still hurts from all the times I've been bent over by those guys and frankly I don't really have the time. If I can get away with a potentially simple fix, that would be awesome!

I absolutely appreciate all your guys' help and comments!
Thank you.

tights24

Reaction score
Surprised nobody has answered this. I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but I did have a heater core go out on me and it affected my front defroster during a winter storm. While it wasn't in my Yukon, it was in a GM vehicle and the heater core was located under the glove box kind of on the firewall. Passenger floor was soaked, and I got no hot air. I understand it's air you are talking about, but maybe they are somehow related? The heater core that I changed out just looked like a mini non-finned radiator with hard lines coming into it. Probably the size of a shoe box lid.

Only other thing I can think of is that your environmental sensors in the ceiling of your truck have failed, and it really doesn't know what the interior temp is. When this happens, it's not sure what type of air to blow, warm or cold. they are the little speaker looking things in the headliner. Hope you figure it out.

BaronAlm

Reaction score
Thank you

Thank you Tights24. I'll look into that, for sure. The weirdest thing... The AC got cold for a few days and is back to good ol warm only. I'm attaching a picture of the high pressure line and port is. The straight part of the line with the port is hot when running and the line just on the other side of where it is coupled/joined and where the 90 degree turn is, it is nice and freezing cold like and coolant line is supposed to be. Is it normal for that line to be hot right there?

[/QUOTE]
Surprised nobody has answered this. I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but I did have a heater core go out on me and it affected my front defroster during a winter storm. While it wasn't in my Yukon, it was in a GM vehicle and the heater core was located under the glove box kind of on the firewall. Passenger floor was soaked, and I got no hot air. I understand it's air you are talking about, but maybe they are somehow related? The heater core that I changed out just looked like a mini non-finned radiator with hard lines coming into it. Probably the size of a shoe box lid.

Only other thing I can think of is that your environmental sensors in the ceiling of your truck have failed, and it really doesn't know what the interior temp is. When this happens, it's not sure what type of air to blow, warm or cold. they are the little speaker looking things in the headliner. Hope you figure it out.

Attachments

• 1438983336067.jpg
    1438983336067.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 4

tights24

Reaction score
Not sure, but I can check mine. I just recharged mine because it was getting warm periodically. I don't think I ever touched the high line because I was connecting back to the low pressure side. FWIW, that line was freezing when I was attaching the can to the low pressure port and my air temp sucked. So, it will be cold when not working properly. My problem now is that it seems to work sporadically now. Wonder if I have a compressor failing. the belt looks fine.

For yours, I would say charge it and see what happens. Do you still have a wet floor?