2015 Tahoe rear air problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gerk

Reaction score
My rear air stopped putting out cold air, and now only puts out 'Hot' air while the front area is cold... Dealer says rear actuator is the culprit... any suggestions?
thanks,
Gerk

mjg44

Reaction score
I have the same issue. If you find an easy fix I would love to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobbysDad

Reaction score
Rear Blowing Hot Air With AC On

I have to ask this first due to I know my 2005 Tahoe has 4 of the blend actuators and have changed a few of them due to failure and it has been a while since I did change them to get it all working perfect again. I would say the Dealer is 100% correct on this one for sure, but you can do them yourself they are super easy to change.

When you say hot air in the back is it in the cargo area by the return and where it blows the hot air is coming out when AC is on? What about the ones on the top of the Tahoe all in the rear? All hot air coming out of those too?

If my memory recalls that the rear blend actuator controls the cargo one and the tops is why I am asking due to I have not changed one in a while and they are super easy to change yourself. Probably 20 minutes doing it the first time.

What a blend actuator is is basically a small plastic box where a wire connector goes into it to tell it what to do. Their is a piece in the blend actuator that looks like you could put a flat head screw driver into it and turn it. DO NOT turn it on the new one it is already all set to go and in sync with the blend actuator and turning it will throw it off calibration. You will need to match it up with the door that opens and closes for hot and cold air by moving that door when putting new one on. So basically yours is broke and not turning that door and the part where heat comes out is open and with it not working it will not turn that door to block the hot air turning that door so it lets cold air come out. Make sense?

You need to get the EXACT one by part number due to they are different despite they all look the same and you should see a sticker on it with the part number. Reason is they can do different things like up in front and if you want to I can explain them all to you, but will stick with the back one right now.

But confirm with me if it is the hot air coming out the cargo area vent and the tops before you buy one and the part number will be on the old one you take out.

I will type this case you or anyone needs to know how to access and change the one in the cargo area. Super easy....

On mine and assuming they are all the same due to I know people with new ones and they are pretty much the same in the rear.

It is located on the side and mine is the passenger side by the return air and the supply air in the cargo area in the back. Here is how to access it... Open up the cargo door obviously and that plastic piece that is under it that goes all the way across and mine had on clips and guessing they all are and that just pulls up and put it to the side. Then you have to go to that side as it goes up and mine has a "push pin" and the plastic piece that hold the cargo net on. Get that off too. Then you have to get the piece off that goes a little bit higher up off too and believe it is just clips that hold it on due to mine has no screws.

Then that big side panel between the return and supply you do not need to take all the way off just partially as you can access it easy, so no need to take that off all the way just move it to the side. Not 100% sure if that has screws or not, but think it just has clips that holds that on too that pull off, but check.

Then you will see the blend actuator which if you looked them up it is a little box with that white thing inside. That is what opens and closes the hot and cold door. It is held on by I think 2 6mm or 8mm screws and comes right off after you take out the connector that has the wires.

Then take your new one and remember do not turn that little thing inside as it is preset already. Match it up to the door moving the door and slip it on then put the screws back in and mount it.

Then it is basically repeating the steps to put all the plastic back on the cargo area you took off. Super easy.....

As above let me know if it is the cargo vent only with the hot air blowing and if the ones in roof are blowing hot air too, due to if I remember that rear one controls both.

Then if you want I will explain how the 3 front ones are and remember you need the exact one and you will find the part number on the old one as they are all different and can do different things.

Any questions I will check back in about a couple hours and reply to this thread so others will know how to change it. Do it yourself and do not let the Dealer do it. No offense against them, but you know they will charge you a fortune in labor for something you are going to do yourself in about 20 minutes.