2016 Lift Gate Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnW1972

Reaction score
Lift gate will not open with key fob, control panel button or handle release first thing in the morning. Lift gate will unlock and raise 1 to 2 inches and stop. I have to open manually and then it will not close by motor, but only manually. If I do not attempt to use lift gate before driving a few miles and then try to open lift gate by any method, lift gate works as expected. Dealership can find no problem (of course they can't since they don't come to my house and attempt to open the lift gate before I drive the car), but if lift gate does not work first thing in the morning, when I'm trying to load the cargo area for the day then that is a problem. Any one else have this issue?

SARNCAN

Reaction score
Lift gate will not open with key fob, control panel button or handle release first thing in the morning. Lift gate will unlock and raise 1 to 2 inches and stop. I have to open manually and then it will not close by motor, but only manually. If I do not attempt to use lift gate before driving a few miles and then try to open lift gate by any method, lift gate works as expected. Dealership can find no problem (of course they can't since they don't come to my house and attempt to open the lift gate before I drive the car), but if lift gate does not work first thing in the morning, when I'm trying to load the cargo area for the day then that is a problem. Any one else have this issue?

What I knew from a friend, that it is a failure of the motor and the dealer should replace it under warranty.
At the mean while, try to unplug and then plug lift gate relay located at the rear fuse box.