2nd Row Bench vs. Buckets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Puzz

Reaction score
First post here. My wife and I are considering a new Tahoe (likely an LTZ or an LT3) and it seems that the cars on dealer lots all have the 2nd row buckets and the 3rd row. We currently have little use for the 3rd row and more need for way-back space as we only have a 4 month old and a dog.

My question is this. Should I just opt for the 2nd row bucket and 3rd row and store the 3rd row seat or special order one with the bench and no 3rd row and be done with it?

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although I don't have my vehicle yet, I ordered it with the 2nd row bench because I suspect that most of the time, I will have the 3rd row removed and stored and will have the additional seating position should I need it. I also figured that the bench is better to throw grocery bags on for a quick trip home.

Jordan23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer the 2nd row bench. Much better than the buckets and you probably would be safer with these than regretting getting the buckets.

Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2nd row buckets and really love them. My kid is 9 years old though, quite different from a 4 month old. I say go for the bench as it seems a more practical choice for you. I think you can still get heated rear seats with the bench anyway so the difference is practicality and need. If you do need more room for the pup, are you considering the Yukon XL/Suburban?

LTZJoe

Reaction score
My '01 LT had a second row bench, with removable third row seating. Loved it...put the third row (either one or both) in only when necessary.

My LTZ has second row buckets and the third row as well. With three kids (2 are 16 and 1 is 12), one of them always has to climb in to the back. Now, I can't remove both of the rears, because I never know when we're going to venture out next, as a family, that is. Not to mention that, as kids, they always argue as to who's going to sit in the heated buckets vs. the cold rear seats.

To make matters worse, my interior carpeting is light grey. Looks great (awesome actually with the entire interior in that shade - very airy and bright - makes the truck look really BIG inside), BUT I cringe at the thought of the third row occupant trodding salt/snow/debris into the back. Easily fixed, I suppose with decent mats, but I'd far rather have the bench in the middle row. It does look HOT though, with buckets in the middle row!

drs66

Reaction score
the 2nd row captains chairs is the only option i did not get on my ltz, i have a big dog that goes where the 3rd row has been removed.. and i would hate to only be able to seat 2 in the second row...