4-Wheel Drive High/Low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nvcaman

Reaction score
Was curious if anyone else has encountered this problem. If you switch to the 4-Wheel Drive High mode and put the car in reverse and turn the wheel all the way to the right or left, it seems as though the car won't back up easily. You really have to give it some gas to go, much different from normal 4 wheel drive mode.

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the system wasn't engaged correctly.
Just because you turn the switch to 4hi does not mean that it is engaged, it can take as long as 30 seconds after the 4hi light stops flashing for the system to actually be engaged. All part time 4wd systems like the one in the tahoe have some peculiarities.

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is normal with any 4x4. No worries. All of my Burbons did the same thing.
Our F 350 4x4 at FD does it too.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i read someware that you can keep a gmt 900 in 4wd indefinatly with out hurting any thing, is that true???

also i have turned around on dry pavement (well half icey, snowy grass) other half my dry driveway. and still driving fine. so i think that only appies to the older models.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Consumor reports quote, as much as i dont like them, if they are wrong about this, we can sue them for all their worth then, RIGHT??:smilielol:
This SUV is a twin of the Chevrolet Suburban, which had more agile handling in our testing and better steering and brakes than its predecessor. The ride is supple and controlled. Interior quality and seat comfort are much improved. The Yukon XL can seat up to nine but typical models seat seven. It can tow a heavy trailer and swallow more cargo than most minivans, but the third row is too low and doesn't fold into the floor. The standard 5.3-liter V8 is powerful, but delivered only 14 mpg overall. The selectable full-time 4WD system can remain engaged at all times without worry. ESC is standard. First year reliability has been below average.

VadersOwnZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've wondered about that as well. It seems that my 2002 4Runner (sold) and my 2007 Armada (sold) had no problems switching back and forth into 4WD WITHOUT all the drama and roughness. I've also experienced the problem while backing out in a recently switched 4WD mode on dry pavement. It felt like there was major binding going on. I didn't have the guts to try and power my way through it and so I switched it back to 2WD. I've also had a similar experience in doing a u-turn on dry pavement when the 4WD had been engaged for some time.

I think part of the difference between the 4Runner/Armada and my Suburban is that the 2 Japanese cars "knew" when it could safely switch to the 4WD mode, whereas the GM will attempt engagement no matter when you press the button.

Pure conjecture on my part, but seems plausible anyway. Still, that doesn't explain the u-turn phenomenom. I wonder if some upgraded gear oil (Redline/Royal Purple, etc.) might help alleviate.

All I know is that the Japanese trucks seemed to perform much better in this regard (I added this line because I can't wait to hear dyed in the wool GM lover RT's comments) Hey RT! Love ya man!

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've wondered about that as well. It seems that my 2002 4Runner (sold) and my 2007 Armada (sold) had no problems switching back and forth into 4WD WITHOUT all the drama and roughness. I've also experienced the problem while backing out in a recently switched 4WD mode on dry pavement. It felt like there was major binding going on. I didn't have the guts to try and power my way through it and so I switched it back to 2WD. I've also had a similar experience in doing a u-turn on dry pavement when the 4WD had been engaged for some time.

I think part of the difference between the 4Runner/Armada and my Suburban is that the 2 Japanese cars "knew" when it could safely switch to the 4WD mode, whereas the GM will attempt engagement no matter when you press the button.

Pure conjecture on my part, but seems plausible anyway. Still, that doesn't explain the u-turn phenomenom. I wonder if some upgraded gear oil (Redline/Royal Purple, etc.) might help alleviate.

All I know is that the Japanese trucks seemed to perform much better in this regard (I added this line because I can't wait to hear dyed in the wool GM lover RT's comments) Hey RT! Love ya man!

somthings wrong. (btw, i love mercedes too, i even have one, and i hate to say it the fit and finish of the mb is better, but the fit and finish of my 86 cadi is better than the new lincolns, so you get what you pay for no longer implies, 500 for a cadillac is better than 40k for a new lincoln. LOL) back to what i was saying.

somthings wrong. mine if im doing somthing i shouldnt with the 4wd it WILL NOT engauge, so it dows KNOW. if im going too fast, or if im turning it will blink but not engauge, for hi ( need to be in nutural to shift to low) but my 06 know, i dont know why they changed that on the 07, i guess becuase mine is a button and yours is a dial. :nonod: but i dont hear gear binding on mine.

also mine is not rough. i hit the 4wd up arrow (high) and it makes a "click" and your in. mine has no drama, infact at speed you dont even feel or hear it. i still think they designed the gmt 800's better than the 900's. IMO and the gmt 900s are still nice.

VadersOwnZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somthings wrong. mine if im doing somthing i shouldnt with the 4wd it WILL NOT engauge, so it dows KNOW. if im going too fast, or if im turning it will blink but not engauge, for hi ( need to be in nutural to shift to low) but my 06 know, i dont know why they changed that on the 07, i guess becuase mine is a button and yours is a dial. :nonod: but i dont hear gear binding on mine.

also mine is not rough. i hit the 4wd up arrow (high) and it makes a "click" and your in. mine has no drama, infact at speed you dont even feel or hear it. i still think they designed the gmt 800's better than the 900's. IMO and the gmt 900s are still nice.

Perhaps I should take mine in to service and see what they think before I hit 36k! Thanks man!:yaya:

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can leave it in auto mode without fear of damage.
In 4wd hi or 4wd lo you will damage the transfer case on dry pavement(all 4 wheels on dry pavement). If you have 2 wheels on dry pavement and 2 wheels on snow should not be a problem.

MSherr23

Reaction score
Try that on dry pavement and your next phone call will be to a towing service.

More than likely nothing will happen if it does a few times. However, if it is used on pavement a lot in 4 wheel drive then yes you will mess something up eventually. That being said it still isn't recommended for a reason.

nvcaman

Reaction score
Well it was sort of on dry pavement. You see I live in Lake Tahoe and we have been getting a ton of snow recently, in the manual in suggest 4WD hi for driving in the snow. So when it has been dumping I switch to that mode cause it is a bit easier driving. i was trying to get my car unstuck and just noticed it. Wanted to ask if something is weong as I have 30,000 miles now. thanks.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are in 4wd and on any high traction surface (where the wheels won't slip at all) turning your wheel can cause excess wear or worse. If you were stuck in some snow, I don't think that should have caused you a problem.

High4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like Rafael said, you can leave it on Auto 4wd all day long and all it will do is kick in if the system feels a slip (like from ice/snow/mud/etc). This is likely the 4wd selection to which Consumer Reports was referring. There is a certain amount of binding when in 4wd hi/low that will be experienced in any truck given certain circumstances. Wheels turned to the max may get some hopping.....that kind of thing. When shifting out of 4wd hi if you experience a lag in the drive train shifting back to 2wd, just drive in reverse for about 10 yards. That's enough to relieve the torque build-up and it will slip right into 2wd.