4wd/drivetrain issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kristin

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Tahoe. I’ll start from the beginning...U code “lost communication with transfer case control module and “service 4wd” in message center. Since then I’ve replaced the 4wd switch, actuator that screws into the front dif, transfer case control module and cleaned off what I think is the ground for the tc module. Only thing left to replace is the tc actuator motor. Since all that I’ve had a loud popping noise and tire drag from the rear everytime i turn left. Opened it up, carrier gears are shot and gouges in ring gear. I dropped the rear out, send it to a shop (that I know does good work), give them the parts and have them rebuild it. Put the rear back in today. When I drive straight no noise. When I turn I get the same gear popping noise as before. Anyone have any advise? Could the actuator motor, not knowing what gear it’s supposed to be in (2wd) be causing the gears to pop? Or is my transfer case f-ed up too?