5 Z71 Fuel Economy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leafman60

Reaction score
I have been getting very reasonable fuel economy with my 7000-mile 2015.
Around town, I am getting close to 18. That edges up to 20 with a few 15-20 miles trips mixed in.

By the way, I'm not talking about what the computer says. I talking -check the odometer on fill up and divide it by the number of gallons taken on since last fill-up.

Recently, I thought I'd go full-bore and see just how good I could make the V8 do. I was on a trip and had plenty of time returning home.

I got on an interstate in north Alabama and headed south for about 300 miles. I had the cruise locked onto 60 MPH. That's right, 60. I don't know that I've ever been that far on and super highway at such a low speed.

Anyway, I did it. Almost never touched the gas pedal or brake for 300 miles. When I did stop to fill up after about 300 miles, my average was 28.5 MPG! I checked it twice. That's amazing to me.

So, I got back out on the slab and tweaked it up to about 70 MPH. My mileage dropped to about 23 MPG but I was still impressed. The key is steady, constant speed.

Running 80 drops it down to 20 and below.

Jorgez71

Reaction score
I drive 45 miles ones way to work and I do about 75 MPH on cruise control.... I'm getting about 20 on average. No complains and you are right, steady speed is the secret.