97 Tahoe door speakers not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andydrew39219

Reaction score
I just bought a 97 Tahoe from a friend of mine. It has speaker issues, he claimed replacing the head unit would fix the issue but it did not. My issue is that only the rear ceiling speakers back by the rear window work. All the door speakers do not work as they should.

I pulled the panel off the driverside door today to find the door speaker disconnected but the small speaker (tweeter?) was making noise, too tinny though. when I connected the door speaker it made noise, but like the small (tweeter?) it was way too tinny and not right. I installed the head unit which I know was working properly.

I'm not familiar with Tahoes, there is a wire that I could not figure out what it is and could not find any explanation through searching. There is a wire connected to the old wiring harness that is kinda dark pink in color, comes to a plastic splitter that says "AMP" on it. It splits into 2 wires, 1 of them is the dark pinkish color like before and the other is a dark blue I think. Anyone know what this is? I can take pictures if needed.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There should be an amp below the drivers seat for the rear door speaker IIRC?

The door speakers in the front (tweeters are supposed to be tinny they are tweeters), the mids should have mid range and if it is tinny then they are probably bad and need to be replaced......

The blue amp wire needs to be powered when radio is on to enable the amp for the mid section speakers (rear pass doors.)

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The amp powers the 2 rear 4x10s and the 2 front tweeters

Head unit powers the 2 front door speakers and 2 door rear speakers

I replaced my head unit and bypassed the amp, I drive 4 6.5s and 4 pyle pro tweeters in the doors off a 1kw amp mounted under the passenger side, re-ran new wires for the amp and it wasn't too hard, of course I have nylon poles that make it easier

Check the amp (under the driver seat) there are tutorials on how to bypass it, but driving 6 speakers and 2 tweeters off even an aftermarket head unit will leave you sorely lacking in power

andydrew39219

Reaction score
I took a look under the drivers seat and found a black box with 2 wires coming out of it. Is this the amplifier? I took a picture of the sticker.

Attachments

• 20150213_090655.jpg
    20150213_090655.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 11

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amp only powers one set of speakers, tweeters are in parallel with the door speakers at least on my rig.....

the amp was a small silver box in my case....

andydrew39219

Reaction score
Amp only powers one set of speakers, tweeters are in parallel with the door speakers at least on my rig.....

the amp was a small silver box in my case....

So what your saying is if the tweeters are working than the door speakers should be working too? I ordered 2 new door speakers to see if that is the problem. I found the amp, it's a silver box like what Lester said. Located above the gas pedal. Are there any lights on it or anything?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, if tweeters work mids should also. Amp has NO lights, just rectangle aluminum? Box with wires coming out of a connector.

andydrew39219

Reaction score
Yup, if tweeters work mids should also. Amp has NO lights, just rectangle aluminum? Box with wires coming out of a connector.

okay, sounds good then. Maybe new speakers will work. Yeah, that would be it, I could see the harness and everything. So, with these door speakers, how are they wired? Do all the speaker wires meet before the harness and amp? I'm just a little confused. When I ripped my driver side door panel off and looked at the speaker the little pcb board and connections plus the wire and connectors were terribly corroded. So if I have to run new speaker wire where do I begin?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suspect you new speakers will work fine, they should both be spliced together in the door (should be a DC blocking cap for the tweeter...)

andydrew39219

Reaction score
Well my new speakers got here in the mail today. Long story short only the driver door speaker works. My new speaker would not work in the front passenger and when I pulled the p plastic speaker piece off the rear right passenger door to see if my new speaker would work there, I discovered that the factory speaker already there still works just the wires for that door are messed up as well. Where do I go from here about diagnosing this?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull radio and ohm out the wires from there to the doors.