98 tahoe,starts then dies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pink63impala

Reaction score
i just put a rebuilt engine back in a tahoe.it ran fine all day sunday when i put it in,let it run in the garage for a while,drove it about 6 miles and put a few bucks in gas.come home monday,and it wont run. all i done was change the heater hose nipple, and add a half quart of oil.i also unplugged a large white connector under the glovebox and reconnected it.i dont know if that had anything to do with the problem. now, its cranks up for a second,then dies,i can pour some fuel in the t.b. and itll run a few more seconds and die. fuel preesure check 55-65 psi.and i put a new filter on.any one have any sugestions?im working on this truck for a freind,but i rebuilt the engone and reinstalled it.

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want to revisit that plug behind the glovebox. Sounds like the injectors are not firing. Check that connector and make sure there it is seated all the way.

Any other wires that may have been in the area of the hose repair should be checked as well........ :)

pink63impala

Reaction score
thanks,ive tried that also.anyone think the passlock may have anything to do with it? i read on alldata on how to reset it,but the security light never went off,and it was after 11 pm last night, is there a proper way to reset it?

tim@sp

Reaction score
Sounds like the security system to me... My Freinds Alero did just that. I will see if I can find what we did to fix it.

dew itt

Reaction score
to reset the security light all you do is crank it, after it starts briefly leave the ignition switch on and the security light should go out after like 15 min. sometimes half an hour. i have to do this every time we have a thunderstorm. the static in the air messes with it

pink63impala

Reaction score
thanks,ill give it another try, i tried a few times,but the light hasnt gone out yet,but my patience wears thing after 15-20 minutes.:mpr: i read where you have to do this 2 or 3 times to reset the passlock?.im starting to think this is the cause. i checked the light on my suburban and it goes out in like 15 seconds or so.this tahoe the light aint going out. i cant remember if it was on when i drove it the first time it ran

tim@sp

Reaction score
Put the key in the ign and turn it all the way forward to the IGNITION position without starting the truck. Now leave to key in this position for at least 12 mins. After 12 mins or so, turn the key back to the OFF/LOCK position then forward again to start the truck.
If it is a sec problem, this should take care of it.

This is what we did and it worked on the Alero. That had PasslockII which we found the key was wore a bit so we got a new key from the dealer and it was all good! but you have the passlock 1 on your car. When i do remote starts I either do the resistor bypass or the Passlock bypass box from DEI. Either of these will defete that from Happening.

Let me find the directions for the tahoe and I will TRY to PM them to you... I dont want lurkers to know how to do it.

Try the reset Idea first and we can go from there. Make sure you have a battery charger on the car so the ECU is seeing 12+ volts or it may not reset it.

pink63impala

Reaction score
so on the first turn, i turn it all the way to on but not as to try and crank the engine?then wait, and try and crank it?what if the security light doesnt go off?

tim@sp

Reaction score
DO not start the car...
Turn key to the "ON" position Let sit in that position for 12 to 15 min or until the light goes off...
If light goes off... Turn key to off position and try to start the car as normal.

You MUST turn the ignition back off after the light goes off. that completes the reset process.

If this does not work then we may have to go to the next step. This would either require a Remote start Bypass module or a Resistor bypass.

Rgdavis

Reaction score
DO not start the car...
Turn key to the "ON" position Let sit in that position for 12 to 15 min or until the light goes off...
If light goes off... Turn key to off position and try to start the car as normal.

You MUST turn the ignition back off after the light goes off. that completes the reset process.

If this does not work then we may have to go to the next step. This would either require a Remote start Bypass module or a Resistor bypass.
I'm trying these steps on a 98 Tahoe right now,,, I hope they work

Rgdavis

Reaction score
Left the ignition on 20 min, security light still on what next?