99 Tahoe Brake lights problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gibsoup

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 99 Tahoe that has a strange problem. When I Press the brakes the Brakelights come on and go off again. If I apply them slowly, they stay on for a longer time, but they still go off. I have checked the fuses, and replaced the Brakelight Switch on the Pedal.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.:patriot:

Sounds like maybe something is heating up and when warm causing an open condition.

can you check all the bulbs to make sure they arent failing, also the bulb connections?
finally, perhaps check the PCBs that are in your taillight assembly, mine got water/ moisture inside them and corroded the PCB.

I'm no expert, but its a start. Others in this forum will help out more than I can.

gibsoup

Reaction score
Thanks, I just checked them and they look fine, no moisture or anything.

I also noticed that if i hold the brake pedal with my foot lightly, the lights will stay on (but not really braking). If I press down on the pedal all the way, they go out (both brake lights & highmounted).

I'm no expert but it sounds like something needs adjusting.

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the brake light switch.

You can try replacing that, but on my 1999, it was a pain in the ass to get to. I didn't even replace mine, I just had to hook up the remote start brake kill switch.

Hardwarz

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He allready replaced that he said in his post ... it sounds like you might have a bigger problem and you shold have the dealer or a nechanic check it out

Sounds like the brake light switch.

You can try replacing that, but on my 1999, it was a pain in the ass to get to. I didn't even replace mine, I just had to hook up the remote start brake kill switch.

Hardwarz

Brandon6127

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have this same problem on my 99 right now. How hard is it to replace the switch? I could barely get my hands to it let alone take it out. Do i have to lower the steering column and go in from the top? I am looking to do it soon so i really could use some insight

gibsoup

Reaction score
I Found it very difficult. :mad: Also there was a retainer clip that needs to be removed. Even after all that It still didn't resolve my issue.

I Even got another switch, and the problem hasn't changed.

Good luck with yours.

Brandon6127

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you get to yours. I messed with it over the weekend and if i moved it and pushed the brakes they worked fine. I saw the retainer clip. I just cant fit my hands let alone any tools up there to get to it. Did you have to drop the steering column? Info would be greatly appriciated

gibsoup

Reaction score
I reached the switch by reaching up at the firewall and twisting my wrist back to catch the switch. The clip I just took a screwdriver to it and spun it around until the split in the ring was in view, and spread it with a screwdriver in till it popped off. That was easy compared to getting the replacement on. That took a magnetic reach tool and a screwdriver and about an hour of trial and error to get it caught, then I could press it in place.

Good luck with yours.

Tim

Brandon6127

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks i appriciate the help. I got the local guys at a shop i go to whenever i cant do a job or dont have the time. They are going to do it for $40 plus the part $10 (which i already have) If it were warm out i might mess with it is 20 as a high and we are suppose to get 6+ inches of snow tomorrow.

ckrieger

Reaction score
Any Update's

Hi,

I have a 99 Tahoe that has a strange problem. When I Press the brakes the Brakelights come on and go off again. If I apply them slowly, they stay on for a longer time, but they still go off. I have checked the fuses, and replaced the Brakelight Switch on the Pedal.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

I'm having the exact same problem and have also replaced the brake switch at the pedal. This is my wife's vehicle & it's parked until I can figure it out & fix it. Since the lights work with light pressure I'm assuming their isn't a wiring continuity issue. It's gotta be with the switch/pedal interaction... Any help or update would be greatly appreciated!

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lights are run thru the Multifunction switch (turnsignals)..... you would need to be able to break out the meter and take some measurements....

shownuff

Reaction score
Same exact problem with my 99. Lights come on but go off if pedal pressed past short distance. Anyone heard any new update? Most aggravated.....

ckrieger

Reaction score
Solution

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure you'll all have the same problem but after many aggravating attempts at fixing the brake lights in my wife's '99 Chevy Tahoe I've succeeded and rest well knowing her brake lights work wonderfully.

I replaced the brake switch at the pedal although I do not think the switch itself was part of the problem at all.

I heard that the wiring went through the turn signal multi-switch and decided to replace that as well though I don't believe it was part of the problem. Had I not replaced the turn signal switch I would've never pulled the steering wheel or unplugged/replaced the wiring I did.

During the turn signal multi-switch replacement I noticed that the wire's leading to the brake switch harness at pedal were damaged. One wire was burnt and down to a single strand. The brake light would work for a second until the wire overheated, for some reason that single strand of wire held on and caused my intermittent problem. I bought a new brake pedal switch wiring harness ($16 or so) and replaced. Brake lights work perfectly.

I did notice that the wires on the new harness are about a 8-10 gauge whereas the original wires were only 14-16 gauge. I soldered everything and while unnecessary the wife has a new brake switch & turn signal multi-function switch.

If you replace the turn signal multi-switch which I'm glad I did I'd recommend checking for AC Delco units on Ebay. AC Delco is by far the best switch and I paid about $89 including shipping as opposed to the $269+ my local auto parts store wanted.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree ckrieger, AC DELCO all the way, cheaper sources than dealer also. Check all wiring associated with an issue when you have one.....

vash

Reaction score
I know this is an old post but I had the same issue with my 99 Tahoe. It ended up being that the white wire on the harness that connects to the brake light switch had broken. Maybe this will help you out or someone else with this same issue as I've been trying to figure out for awhile and have looked at many posts.