99 Yukon Help w/ rear door speakers please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdm2462

Reaction score
I have the same problem as I've seen in this forum before. I installed a new stereo (wired correctly - power antenna to turn on factory auxillary amp) but no sound from the rear door speakers. Re-checked with factory radio - still no sound. Crutchfield tech support has been very helpful and knowledgable but so far not able to solve the problem.

I looked up the build codes in another thread on here. My truck has

UQ3
Speaker System, Enhanced Audio

NOT

UQA
Speaker System, Premium Audio Branded With Amplifier

I could not find an amp anywhere (not under driver's seat or inside dash).

Checked the cargo area ceiling speakers. They are wired but only one pair of wires (not additional wires to go back to door speakers).

Checked the rear door speakers. They are there and wired.

Any suggestions on how to wire them and make them work?

Thanks.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the power amp/amps under the back of the center console?
This is the only place on my truck that I havent looked. Maybe one of the power amps isnt working.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think so dude, but I'll look again. Maybe are they hidden under the carpet?
All I see under there now are the seat motors and such..

mdm2462

Reaction score
I have looked under all seats, under the console compartment and inside the dash and haven't seen any amp. Judging from the build codes (see my original post) I don't think there is an amp in my truck. I am baffled that there are wired speakers in the rear doors that don't work -- even with the factory stereo installed.

I was just trying to see if anyone out there had any knowledge or a similar experience.

Thanks for your help.

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they wouldnt put speakers in the doors if they didnt originally work. You said even with the factory radio reinstalled no sound from rear doors? do you recall them ever working? my 98 has the rear door amp under the drivers seat. what are the wire colors to each. lastly check and make sure they are not blown. good luck.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no theres nothing under the carpet.. i had all mine taken out before and nothing was under there.. i never saw anything under the passenger eather..

mdm2462

Reaction score
I cannot say for sure that they were ever working since I never sit back there. I bought the truck when it was 3 yrs old. I think that the wires to the right side speaker were blue & brown but cannot remember for sure.

Definitely no amp in sight under any seat or where I can see in the dash. There is a lot of stuff in the dash (behind the glove box etc.) so I cannot see a lot back there.

I will check to see if the speakers are blown next chance I get.

Thanks for the help.

Harry Pluta

Reaction score
I don't think your system has the amp. That would be the Premium Branded system and would include the Bose amp under the console. I am pretty sure the base level Enhanced Audio just works off the radio's internal amp.

-Harry

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is the box your talking about about 4inchs by 5inchs??? bcuz i thought thats the box that tells the insurance companys information about your truck.. like they plug a connector into it and it tells them how fast u were going and ect stuff like that.. bcuz i took mine out and my speakers still work?? or is this box like a x1x1 rectangle box???

y2kz71

Reaction score
rear door speakers

I had that same problem all i did was connect the blue/white from the aftermarket deck to the pink on the factory harness and it worked fine after that. Repost and lat me know if that works for you good luck.

diehardgm

Reaction score
is the box your talking about about 4inchs by 5inchs??? bcuz i thought thats the box that tells the insurance companys information about your truck.. like they plug a connector into it and it tells them how fast u were going and ect stuff like that.. bcuz i took mine out and my speakers still work?? or is this box like a x1x1 rectangle box???

Mine was about 4x5 if I remember correctly. It came out of the truck 2 years ago.

mdm2462

Reaction score
I had that same problem all i did was connect the blue/white from the aftermarket deck to the pink on the factory harness and it worked fine after that. Repost and lat me know if that works for you good luck.

I went throught the wiring w/ the Crutchfield tech support. I had the power antenna correctly connected to the pink - amp power - wire. We even tried connecting other sources of 12V to the pink wire but no luck.

Thanks for the pointer.

mdm2462

Reaction score
I went throught the wiring w/ the Crutchfield tech support. I had the power antenna correctly connected to the pink - amp power - wire. We even tried connecting other sources of 12V to the pink wire but no luck.

Thanks for the pointer.

I've found the amp and relay behind the dash. I removed the relay, tested and found it to be good. The power wire into the relay connector is orange (not pink like at the radio connector). I went through all wires associated w/ the factory radio and did not find continuity to the orange relay power wire.

I am to the point that I think that I'll just run another wire from the radio to the relay.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.