Able to use same H/U after merger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denali132

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At GM, we’re focused on each and every aspect of our owners’ driving experience. So we’ve naturally paid close attention to the merger of XM and SIRIUS.

The merger has been approved, and now XM and SIRIUS will move forward with their plans. I’m writing today to tell you that we think that’s great news for GM owners. Here are three reasons why:

You’ll have new choices. A combined company will be able to offer an even broader spectrum of audio entertainment. You’ll have the choice of the best of both companies’ programming.

You’ll get new pricing and packages. In fact, there will be exciting new subscription packages that combine the best of what each company has to offer. Packages including the best of both XM and SIRIUS programming will be priced below the cost of subscribing to them separately.

You’ll use the same radios. XM has guaranteed us that no radio will become obsolete due to the merger. Both companies have millions of radios entertaining loyal listeners. The combined company wants subscribers to enjoy those radios more than ever!

There’s nothing you need to do right now. Look for an e-mail in the next few months with programming and pricing specifics. For any questions in the meantime, go to xmradio.com.

XM and SIRIUS will soon bring you the level of service you’ve come to expect, along with new plans and programming that will exceed your expectations. You, as a valued GM owner, deserve nothing less.

Sincerely,

Richard M. Lee
Executive Director
Satellite Radio Services
GM

Stargazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’ll use the same radios. XM has guaranteed us that no radio will become obsolete due to the merger.
That is really good news. I've been avoiding activating the XM radio in my Denali because I like listening to my external Sirius radio. It would be nice to be able to use the factory system instead.

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
......Look for an e-mail in the next few months with programming and pricing specifics.......

It took so G.d. long to get approved, wouldn't you think they'd have the plans worked out by now?

Personally, I have both at the moment. But I'm picking up a Mazda 3 to drive the 100 miles daily to work and back, so I will be giving the Tahoe a rest. For me, I like the ability to move the satellite receiver from vehicle to vehicle. So I'll be sticking with Sirius, and letting XM in the Tahoe go.

Denali132

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If we wanted can we switch over to just Sirius and not have XM with our factory GM radios?

LVYUKYUK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It took so G.d. long to get approved, wouldn't you think they'd have the plans worked out by now?

Actually before a merger takes place and the proper approvals are issued companies cannot share technologies. Legally they had to act as two seperate companies until the deal closed. It totally sucks because I agree with you that there was a bunch of time wasted. I have an inside track on this because my company was aquired by Google and we could not work on merging systems until after. The good news though, I now work for Google! :D

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If we wanted can we switch over to just Sirius and not have XM with our factory GM radios?

If I undestand your question correctly, no, you won't be able to do that. The XM and Sirius data streams are entirely different. The two systems use different codecs for audio data compression, different modulation techniques, and/or different methods for encryption and access. IOW, if you have XM in your OEM head unit, you'll be stuck with XM unless you swap satellite receivers. The good thing is you really won't notice the difference because programming will span the 2 technologies. I imagine that XM Sirius will provide a multi receiver discount for users that presently have vehicles the use both.