AC Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blown240

Reaction score
I have an 04 Yukon Xl with the auto A/C Controls.

The rear air blows nice and cold. The compressor comes on like it should.

The front AC never gets cold. Set at 60 degrees the air coming out is not hot, but not cold. At 90 degrees its nice and hot.

At first I though it was just the drivers side, so I pulled the blend door actuator, and cleaned the grease out of it. Then I reset the system. It is still the same.

Any thoughts? The passenger and drivers side are within 2 degrees of each other. The rear air is nice and cold.

blown240

Reaction score
I drove the truck this evening, and the AC does get coldish when the truck is moving. When its stopped at a light, it stops cooling...

RobbysDad

Reaction score
I see this is old post and see that you pulled it out and cleaned out the grease, but did not change it. Which one did you pull out? Plus, it should have some grease in it.

Their are 3 in the front total, but one is for the fan. Their is another located under the console and a little hard to get at but do it from the passenger seat and this one controls the air temperature for the front. It decides for the passenger and driver what the temperature should be at and mixes the air. This could be your bad one due to it is letting hot air mix with the cold. Do you hear any clicking or did you under the dash? That is when they start to go bad. Plus, the driver can get really cold or hot air and the passenger could get the same or opposite when that one is going bad. A shut down of the truck can reset it temporarily on one or two start back ups, but really depends how far gone it is.

The other is located behind the glove box and this one decides where the the air is going to blow, being defrost, vents, or feet, but do not think this is your problem. I think the one under the console and think it is 2 (6 or 8mm) heads on them.

Their is also another located in the cargo area, but not your problem, but could be for someone not getting the right temp back there. That one is located on the passenger side under the huge panel in the cargo area. Easy to get at just need to pull off the trim where the hatch closes, the trim going up, then you can get that big panel off and just reach in and change it and same 2 bolts.

Didn't say this above but a plug too and when you get a new one do not turn it leave it in the position it came in and work it in.

All of these will look identical but they are all different and you need to pull the p/n off your old one so you get the correct one. Reason they are different is how many wires are going in to them on the plug. Just because they all look the same does not mean they are so make sure you go by the p/n off your old one if you think that this is it. I have changed my front console one 2 times and my rear once on my 2005 Tahoe and it was it every time with the air not blowing the right temp. Trying to think if it was mine or someone elses I changed when it was not blowing out the right vents that is behind the glove box.

The one I never want to change is the fan one due to I never did one and heard it is behind the dash on the drivers side and you need to pull a lot of the dash to get at it.

Believe me these go bad and clicking is a sign and then them doing weird stuff, then failing.