AC refrigerant oil questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sparkee

Reaction score
I have a '95 Suburban with rear AC, the AC has never worked since I have owned it. I am getting ready for a road trip and decided to get the AC working. I am replacing the compressor, receiver/drier, orifice tube, rear expansion valve and the O-rings for all the joints that I could get apart.

1. To lubricate the new O-rings, what kind of oil do I use? I've seen some places say to not use PAG oil and to use R-12 ester oil instead. Is this true and why?

2. The spec for oil capacity is 11 oz., where exactly do I add it? Do I put all 11 oz. in the compressor? Or do I put some in compressor and some elsewhere? If so where?

3. I read that I should use PAG 150 oil, is that the correct oil? Do I add all liquid oil, or do I use some of the oil charge cans?

Thanks and have a good one!

eshardball

Reaction score
I am in the same boat having just replaced the compressor, Condenser & accumulator after a compressor failure in a 2001 Tahoe w rear AC. Compressor kit came with 16 oz of oil. Poured 1 oz into new accumulator as directed and the remaining 7 in the compressor which filled it. Can't find the capacity in either a Chiltons or the vehicle owner's manual.

eshardball

Reaction score
AC oil quantity

Thank you. I'm working on my girlfriend's truck which is an 01 with rear AC. It looks like 11 oz total . I poured a little over 1oz into the accumulator and 7oz into the compressor which I will have to pull 5oz out of to distribute to the condenser and evaporator. I'm guessing that 7oz in the compressor would not have been good considering that its spose to be 2oz.