Aftermarket Audio Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm finally posting some pics of my install. I'm still not totally done with the grille for the back of the console. I'll post pics when I get that done.

I did not have Bose in my Tahoe, and the non-Bose speakers suck even worse than the Bose speakers. I wanted to keep a stock look and add new speakers, amps, and a subwoofer. I originally had the front jump seat and that severely limited my options. I decided to buy a center console and fill the innards with the new components.

I ditched the rear speakers as there really is no point for me to have them. It just makes balancing everything more difficult without really adding anything.

Edit: I've gotten a couple questions on how I'm using my factory head unit. I'm using this harness which gives me RCA outs (as seen in the first picture hanging down).

Here are the results:

Cadence Amps (FXA-102 and FXA-3001):
amps.jpg

Amps and Sub Box:
sub_amp_open.jpg

Subwoofer (Boston Acoustics G510-44):
sub_box.jpg

New tweeter location (Alpine SPX-17REF):
tweeter.jpg

Enclosure on, cupholder off:
cupholder_off.jpg

Inside enclosure:
inside.jpg

Enclosure reassembled:
back_together.jpg

Speaker grille:
To-be-completed...

Last edited:

AZSCTACO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice work.......... :thumbsup:

I am interested in your little modifying of the front tweeters....did you just pop off that plastic piece, mount the tweets and your good to go????? Look great.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice work.......... :thumbsup:

I am interested in your little modifying of the front tweeters....did you just pop off that plastic piece, mount the tweets and your good to go????? Look great.

Pretty much, I drilled a pilot hole in the plastic piece, then used a hole cutter to get close, then used a dremel to get it the rest of the way. The tweeters clamp right to the plastic piece and I just ran the wires inside the door. Pretty simple.

Edit: Oh, and Thanks!

Last edited:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why is it that gm gave the LS tahoe power peddles and rear parking. when i bought a sticker 50k SLT yukon suv from them and i dont get it??? thats not smart marketing GM. :mad2:

cool set up though. really like it.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why is it that gm gave the LS tahoe power peddles and rear parking. when i bought a sticker 50k SLT yukon suv from them and i dont get it??? thats not smart marketing GM. :mad2:

cool set up though. really like it.

How did you notice that, there isn't even a good picture of it :) It doesn't come standard, it was an option on mine. I tried to get the lowest trim I could (don't really care about the million doodads) all I wanted was 4wd and the locking differential. What I got was 4wd, rear lockers, and the power pedals. I thought the rear parking was standard, does yours really not have it? If not I guess it is an option...a welcome one at that.

Edit: Don't mourn the power pedals, I NEVER use them.

Last edited:

brdnboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gambler. Did you consider using the stock tweeter location. Is it feasible? Looks great!

emann_01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks good man

I am assuming that you lost all of your console space?

Also, does the sound fill the cabin or does it mainly focus up front?

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you notice that, there isn't even a good picture of it :) It doesn't come standard, it was an option on mine. I tried to get the lowest trim I could (don't really care about the million doodads) all I wanted was 4wd and the locking differential. What I got was 4wd, rear lockers, and the power pedals. I thought the rear parking was standard, does yours really not have it? If not I guess it is an option...a welcome one at that.

Edit: Don't mourn the power pedals, I NEVER use them.

i had them on the 06 and i think i used them once, and that was to show the dealer the worked when i traded it in saturday. but i would really love the rear parking. looking at my sticker it gave me a 350 dollar credit becase vehicle was produced with out it, wonder how that happens. :confused2:

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gambler. Did you consider using the stock tweeter location. Is it feasible? Looks great!

Yes I considered it and after discussing it with some audio guys it was determined that bouncing the sound off of the windshield is generally a bad idea.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks good man

I am assuming that you lost all of your console space?

Also, does the sound fill the cabin or does it mainly focus up front?

Pretty much, I have about an inch left in the top, but for all intents and purposes, I lost it all.

As for the sound filling the cabin, I really couldn't tell you. I guess I'll have to turn it on and sit in the back and see.

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I considered it and after discussing it with some audio guys it was determined that bouncing the sound off of the windshield is generally a bad idea.

Actually using a-pillar mounted tweeters has become more and more popular among car audio competitors..when executed properly they not only lift but widen your soundstage...off course tuning and crossover points are crucial in making them work properly...GM actually did their homework...they are much better up their than where they originally were on the GMT-800's.(in the doors)

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually using a-pillar mounted tweeters has become more and more popular among car audio competitors..when executed properly they not only lift but widen your soundstage...off course tuning and crossover points are crucial in making them work properly...GM actually did their homework...they are much better up their than where they originally were on the GMT-800's.(in the doors)

I'll agree they are better on an a-pillar than on the doors, but they really aren't aimed well. They appear to be aimed at the windshield to reflect the sound back toward the listener, and that isn't optimal. I played around with where to put them and like them best where they are.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys, I'm almost done with the back panel, hopefully I can get it done and post a pic here soon.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's lookin like some really good work. I so want to add some good components with amps to mine, trying to think of a way to keep all the Bose but add extra, kind of like 2 systems in one.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's lookin like some really good work. I so want to add some good components with amps to mine, trying to think of a way to keep all the Bose but add extra, kind of like 2 systems in one.

The Bose equipment is really junk, any car audio enthusiast will tell you that. Trying to balance what you are suggesting would be a nightmare, I would highly recommend buying better components and going from there.

DownTownDru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you pull the factory head unit to install the JP Customs amp interface? I have done this before on Fords and Toyotas but no GM experience pulling radios.

I am also running the Boston G510 but have it in a sealed box in the cargo area w/ 3rd row removed. I tapped into one of the rear tweeters for a line level input (I have the Bose setup), but I'm sure a direct line off the head unit would be a better choice.

Does the amp interface let you continue using the factory amplification if you want the aftermarket amp to only power additional subs (the factory head unit continues to power the stock speakers)?

Thanks!!

A J

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you pull the factory head unit to install the JP Customs amp interface? I have done this before on Fords and Toyotas but no GM experience pulling radios.
All you have to do is get a thin screwdriver and pop the bezel off from around the stereo, as long as you are relatively careful you won't break it. From there it just takes a socket set. I attached a socket to my cordless drill and it was a breeze.

I am also running the Boston G510 but have it in a sealed box in the cargo area w/ 3rd row removed. I tapped into one of the rear tweeters for a line level input (I have the Bose setup), but I'm sure a direct line off the head unit would be a better choice.
Yep!

Does the amp interface let you continue using the factory amplification if you want the aftermarket amp to only power additional subs (the factory head unit continues to power the stock speakers)?
You can continue to use the factory amp, it just snaps in-line. That harness is exactly what you need and will work fine.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Bose equipment is really junk, any car audio enthusiast will tell you that. Trying to balance what you are suggesting would be a nightmare, I would highly recommend buying better components and going from there.

Yeah, I'm sure you're probably right, and it sounds just okay until you want some power and it's just not there. One shop said just add subs and it's all you need, but I still thnk the other ranges would be lacking. It's really hard for me to part with the factory's "best" (eh, eh) options, I don't know, like how I want to keep my Z71 springs when I lift it. But I know I'll have to do something with this system at some point. So do you need cooling fans or anything, or is it built in sufficient for the enclosed space? I totally agree about the tweeter location, and they look really slick too. You did a fine job man, you should be proud. Bose sucks...