Antifreeze/coolant smell inside!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evan

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Tahoe that I've maintained very well, it has over 300k miles on it, and still going strong. The latest problem I have is a very strong smell of the antifreeze inside the cabin, when I turn the heat on only.
I thought it might be the heater core, but there are no leaks at all under the dash. I'm hesitating to replace the heater core, since it's very involved. So, reluctantly I tried a bottle of the Bar's Leaks heater core stop leak. Even though my radiator and water pump are fairly new (1 yr old). I thought if there's a pin hole in the heater core, hopefully it'll plug it.
To my surprise, the smell now is worse I think?? Not sure what could've happened, how can the leak get worse, weird. I'm going to wait a few more days and see if it gets any better.

If it's not the heater core, any ideas where the leak could be, that it comes in when the heat is turned only. A/c or cold air doesn't smell of antifreeze, only when you switch the knob from blue to red, to open the door the heater core, that the smell comes in.

Thanks,
Evan