Automatic Headlights - Neverending Story..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vista Cruiser 69

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm not the only one complaining about this gimmick as I noticed here, but depending on model and make there seem to be different solutions to disengage this nasty function. To me its not reliable and I like to decide by myself when I want full headlights, and Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited are expensive and not long lasting (although make a diference..)
I could not find a solution for my Sept 2001 Tahoe (European export version) in the files. Might be my fault being new to this community so please bear with me if I overlooked...
Now, I found someone telling me to press "Dome light Override" button 4 times in 6 seconds - doesn't work for mine.
I'm about to disconnect the cable between BCM and light sensor on top of the dash (even considered to install an LED to keep him bright but feels silly somehow..). Anyone around who made that cut- or who has an idea to switch this function off one and for all? Thanks a lot in advance Martin

And BTW, those handful of German Opel dealers who sold Tahoes are hard to spot and turn out clueless nimrods if you found one...:sad72:

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice, did you figure it out? Was the 2001 Export the GMT400 (Squarebody) or the newer GMT800 series.....

Vista Cruiser 69

Reaction score
Its GMT 400.
I got a t least a half solution. Chilton's wiring diagramm ("Typical SUV") was inaccurate but at least gave me a clue. Plan was to cut one of two wires connecting light sensor in dash with the BCM. But colours in the plan did not match reality and I could not find them. First thing was anyway to find BCM (which I did by Google photo and not by the repair manual). I pulled out any white wire after the other until there it went in the righ direction. In the end I got the one which takes the impulse from the BCM to the headlight relay bypassing the main light switch.
Now it only switches on the small white ones beside turn lights (in second row...wuddever you call them) and leaves the headlights off - OK so far. B-side of the medal is that it activates the blue high beam control lamp but I do not care.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt think GMT400 had a BCM..... or a light sensor...... maybe that is something to do with the export where they kept the 400 over another year.. still have a 350 or a 326?

Vista Cruiser 69

Reaction score
Sorry Mate,
GMT 800, 326cui. Many European cars come with light sensors these days but you easily switch them off if you don't want and not by cutting wires... Great car otherwise!

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the newer cars I have seen, if you dont want automatic lights, turn the lightswitch backwards a click.....

aHelms

Reaction score

On mine i turn the switch all the way to the left and barely tap the e brake

jlawz

Reaction score
don't know much about the European version or anything European!! LOL!! I read that someone told you to press the dome light override button 4 times. well mine you press it 2 times and it turns off the lights. maybe try that?