Back-up Camera Malfunctioning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LTZJoe

Reaction score
Fellow Tahoe-ers...

I think I may have received the first hiccup with my otherwise perfect ride. Today, three times, I noticed my back-up camera did not switch on when I put 'er in reverse. THREE TIMES. Putting it back in drive then switching to reverse again solved the problem - but it happened at three different times during the day.

Anybody else experience this?

basecorvette

Reaction score
This happened to me 1 time. I didn't really notice until I was sliding it into drive. I put it back in reverse and the camera worked that time.

But, I have had it where the camera will stay on for like 2 miles. This has happened a handfull of times. But it always fixes it's self after a while. There are some bugs in the system for sure.
Good luck.

LTZJoe

Reaction score
Hey basecorvette!

I assume you own a Corvette? I have one too...an '05 C6 6spd!!!

As far as the camera malfunctioning...hmmm, I wonder which is worse, not getting it to come on or not getting it to go off! I can't imagine driving for 2 miles at night with people's bright headlights glaring at me thru that screen!

My wife's FX45 has had NO back-up camera problems in the three years she's driven it.

I hate these little glitches...

basecorvette

Reaction score
What's up LTZJoe.
I have an 01 vert, torch red, 6 speed. Got it new in 01. Man do I love the C6, I bet you do to. I've thought about upgrading to a C6, but 01 is paid for. I see a used 06 z06 in my future.

You know, it has never happened at night. It has always been in the morning. It is just annoying in the morning. That would be real bad at night. The backup camera is already really bright. Sometimes it seems too bright and I cover it up with my hand so I can see out the side windows without the glare.

wedtwuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LTZJoe - I am not having the same problems you describe but I do have a couple of issues with the backup camera. When I start the truck and put it into reverse there is a delay of maybe 10 seconds before the camera comes on. By the time it comes on I am already backed out. Then when I shift to drive the camera stays on for 10-15 seconds. In the daytime it's not bad but at night it really messes with your night vision.

I had a 2003 FX35. The backup camera did go out. The Service Adviser said I was lucky that it was still under warranty as the camera is very expensive according to him. On the subject of the FX, why didn't Chevrolet use the same system that Infiniti did where you can tell from the display how far you are from the object behind you? Having to look at the display and at the warning lights in the back of the Tahoe is annoying. Chevy should have also mounted the display itself higher on the dash where it would be easier to read.

basecorvette

Reaction score
Hello wedtwuk
I also have the problem of the camera taking 10 seconds to show up. But this is only when I have just started it. It takes the operating system that long to boot up and then it switches to camera.

I agree the 10 second delay almost defeats the purpose of having a back up camera because I’m done backing up. But it is still nice in tight spots.

I don’t see the delay going away. It would take a more efficient operating system or more onboard ram, and they both cost money. In my mind, the software in the whole NAV system is really bad.

By the way, I read somewhere that the camera is only about $160 for a Tahoe.