Barn Doors, Cargo Doors, Panel Doors??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71Heat

Reaction score
As we all know the old chevy barn doors have been used FOREVER but as of the 2005 model year they were discontinued. 2004 was the LAST year chevy/gmc produced those rear doors.

Any one want to suggest why? Do you like/dislike the Hatch door v.s. the Barn Door?

I personally like the barn doors, and think it should still be an option for the 07-08 generation. However the tahoe seems to become more and more a soccer mom wagon who crys because she cant "SEE" out the back because of the doors.

Oger

Reaction score
I had the rear hatch and tailgate on a 95 burban and the barn doors on my 97. as far as that generation and previous ones with similar design, the barn doors were a much more usefull option. I could get deeper into the back without having the tailgate in the way. as far as the new hatch design, I like it better, because it needs less room behind the vehichle to operate and achieves the same usefullness of the barn doors. I suppose that that the general has done away with the barn doors do to less demand and to save a few dollars in production by eliminating the added options. I do like the look of the barn door better, but the lift gate is much more practical. just my thoughts.

jey_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like how the hatch allows you to open just the glass - especially since our garage is not tall enough to open the whole hatch. That said, if we had the barn doors we could definitely open them both all the way in our garage - no height restriction issue there, so perhaps I would have been happier with barn doors.

I have heard complaints about how GM can't seem to get their barn doors to line up perfectly. The "barn doors" on our GM van are noticeably off too - they don't leak or anything it's just one of those visual pet peeves that can start to hurt sales on a Premium SUV for many people.

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the barn doors on my 80's burban ..now i got the lift gate /glass it's nice when you quickly want something but i still miss the barn door affect especially when i'm at home depot...ever go into that place just for one item and come out with a rolling cart full? LOL

Z71Heat

Reaction score
I am lucky, I happened to get my hands on a new body style with the barn doors. I love the look of the barn door v.s. the hatch door. It DOES reduce visability, but what car wouldnt have reduced visability with double 5% tint?:lol:

YukonJacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the barn doors on my "00" Yukon If your looking to customize the tails, its hardewr to find ones made for the barn doors. If you have a Duck Dog, well then, you can't beat the barn doors. especially when you can put a step in the trailer hitch for them to get in and out. I guess the Lab's input swayed me to go to the barn doors

Greg2002

Reaction score
I have the barn doors on my 2002 Tahoe i like it alot better than the hatch. Here in Canada you RARELY see the barn doors most dealers say they sold way more in the US like that. Being said my truck is from West Virginia.

sonycamara218.jpg

FergHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the barn doors on my 2002 Tahoe i like it alot better than the hatch. Here in Canada you RARELY see the barn doors most dealers say they sold way more in the US like that. Being said my truck is from West Virginia.

Why is it being loaded on a flatbed?!?

road1will

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer the liftgate. We've had 3 suburbans, all with the barn doors, and i've always hated them. I hate that there is no wiper, its hard to see, and it really looks retarded having the handle offset on the back. It looks especially bad on LS models with the black handle that already sticks out like a sore thumb.

So when I got my tahoe, i finally got the lift gate, and couldnt be happier. i think it looks much, much nicer and gives a cleaner appearance.

asmith001

Reaction score
I never thought I would care for the barn doors, but the 2001 Yukon SLT that I just bought a few months ago has them. I must say that I like them a lot. Being 6'5", the liftgate on most SUV's is very annoying. We also have a 2003 4Runner and I have to duck just a little to walk under the liftgate when it's open. It drives me crazy. I like being able to stand at the back of the Yukon and not worry about smacking my head on anything. One thing I love about the back of the 4Runner is that the rear window rolls down, and can be done from the front or with the remote. I think all liftgates should utilize this feature. So, all that being said... I have mixed feelings. I like certain aspects of both.

MikeCallery

Reaction score
What I'd like to see Chevy/GMC do is a combo barn/lift, where the bottom doors are barn but the glass is a lift, thereby giving you easy access but not restricting your rear view visability!

YAYSTA

Reaction score
yea i dont know about the barn doors, kinda reminds me of a hearse, and the lift gate gives it a more sporty and modern look

Z71Heat

Reaction score
What I'd like to see Chevy/GMC do is a combo barn/lift, where the bottom doors are barn but the glass is a lift, thereby giving you easy access but not restricting your rear view visability!

Thats exactly what FORD did with the EXCURSION!

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And you can stand under the liftgate when its raining. stay somewhat dry.

reason i love my lift gate, had barn doors on my 99 suburban, and it looked cool, but even on an LT it had black handles and like R1W staited looks awful.

i like the barn doors for putting stuff in, but the lift gate is just so much more pratical. what i wish they would go back to is the tail gate that opens seperate from the lift gate, tail gate like a truck and same lift glass, get rain guard, plus a nice place to sit.

but the lift glass opening seperate from the door is just as nice. love that when i have long pieces of wood, the dogs, or just like the nice air circulation, yes i do travel alot with my lift gate open, have not died yet, sometimes smells come in from the exhaust, but not enough to bug me.

chrias

Reaction score
They call them Dutch doors. GM's Safaris and Astros had them.