Belltech Vs. McGaughy's

Which drop (spindles) kit do you prefer?

• McGaughy's

Votes: 25 67.6%
  • Belltech

Votes: 12 32.4%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ayeplussjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like both of these companies make good products but it seems like the majority of the people on this forum (if I'm not mistaken) prefer the McGaughy's kit. Are there any main differences between the two kits? I'm planning on going with one or the other within the next week and I've been debating on which kit to get. The belltech spindle kit is 250.00 cheaper than the McGaughy's, and I don't mind spending the extra loot for the McGaughy's if someone can convince me that it's worth it. If not...might as well save the 250.00 and go with the Belltech's.

CHISTOSO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the Belltec spindles but the McGaughys let you keep the exact same steering geometry. I installed mine and took it in for an alignment check and it was dead on perfect.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Both companies are great. As long as you are going with spindles, your steering/suspension geometry won't change and alignment will be a snap. IMO, if it were me, I'd save the $250. Belltech has been in the business for yrs. and manufacture quality parts. Double check and see what parts are included in each kit though to make sure that the only difference is the price and not the number of parts, i.e. shock extenders, coils, shocks, etc.

CHISTOSO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both companies are great. As long as you are going with spindles, your steering/suspension geometry won't change and alignment will be a snap. IMO, if it were me, I'd save the $250. Belltech has been in the business for yrs. and manufacture quality parts. Double check and see what parts are included in each kit though to make sure that the only difference is the price and not the number of parts, i.e. shock extenders, coils, shocks, etc.

Good point. Make sure the kit, whichever you chose is complete. Some include more hardware and parts than others..

ayeplussjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only difference between the two kits I'm thinking about getting is that the McGaughy's come with the shock extenders and the Belltech does not...What is the purpose of the shock extenders? I don't think the shock extenders are 250.00 are they...I should be able to buy the Bell tech shock extenders.

CHISTOSO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you're getting the rear as well. The Shock extenders allow you to use your stock shocks. Basically they are brackets to move the mounting location of the shocks at the axle.. That along with lowering springs make up the rear lowering portion of the kit, although they dont send new bump stop bushings you will have to trim off a piece of your existing to make up for the drop..

thearch

Reaction score
Make sure that you check the kits closely. There is three suspension systems they put on the yukons and four for the tahoes. The delco crap, the premium ride which I believe Showa makes, the Autoride system and of course the Z71 package which changes alot of the suspension parts.

KillerB

Reaction score
So, now that I'm un/officially a part of this group, just got an Escallade, I need to learn about lowering.
The Escallade has the Active suspension (don't know the proper name, what is it?). Does lowering it using one of the previously mentioned kits require anything special regarding the shocks? Or do the shock extenders take care of that?

B

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, now that I'm un/officially a part of this group, just got an Escallade, I need to learn about lowering.
The Escallade has the Active suspension (don't know the proper name, what is it?). Does lowering it using one of the previously mentioned kits require anything special regarding the shocks? Or do the shock extenders take care of that?

B
There are plenty of kits out there for the autoride trucks, my denali uses the same kit as your esco and comes with rear shock extensions and shorter autoride links. The belltech kit will drop yours quite a bit, get the mcgaughys kit with keys or spindles if you don't want it slammed. The front shocks cannot be changed unless you delete your autoride by getting a BCM (body control module) tune which causes the truck to not sense any signal from the shock absorbers, thus allowing you to run any shock you want. I'm considering a bcm tune due to the amount of drop I have up front and the lack of availability for a shorter stroke autoride shock in the front. The rear will ride great but my truck can get a little annoying when going over larger bumps since I have just over 1" of uptravel in the front shocks. There is no way to extend the front shock mounts unless you weld new upper mounts higher on the frame and the ride is comfortable enough for me the way it is. Hope this answered your question, pm me if you have any others regarding the suspension in your truck.

KillerB

Reaction score
So dropping the front with the spindles should keep the front ride quality nearly the same as stock? Makes sense since the suspension geometry ins't changing. The keys will rotate the A-arms and compress the shocks, reducing overall travel and changing the effective spring rate.
The rear drop changes the geometry, there is no way around that. But the shock extensions should keep the shock from overcompressing?

Sounds like a McG kit in my future. Where are the best places to get aftermarket stuff for these vehicles?

hawaii04tahoe

Reaction score
I got my Mcgaughy's 2/3 from Godfather's. Their phone quote to hawaii was over $100. I went online and got the $45 shipping rate, total about $470. Actual shipping came to about $37.

stockergt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Killer B, I have a Denali with the same autoride system and I did the belltech kit. I bought the spindles instead of the keys and the only issue I had was actually in the rear with bottoming out. I even towed my boat with it last week and loved the way it towed. (other than flipping my ball over so that I have a 3 inch raise instead of a drop.)

exxxtrem

Reaction score
I have done a ton of research on this. Mcgaughy's was smart and put a pattent on there design rite away. so bell tech and the other companys had to change the design. Mcgaughys has the identical measurments as gm. Im going Mcgaughys tomarrow. Be carful going to low. I just had to buy 30 series tires so my wheels could turn.

Nuscence813

Reaction score
Get McGaughys

:smokin::smokin::happy160:
Listen I have some input if it is not too late!! I installed the McGaughys 2/3 drop on my 2011 Yukon and it was simple. Instructions suck but if you research enough you can figure it out before you start. I also want you to know that McGaughys also has patented spindles and get you lower with the functionality. Grunion in AZ can take care of you!! They gave me a great price for struts, shocks, and 2/3 drop kit. The price was pretty much unbeatable by anyone not even there direct store!! Hope this helps!! :peace: