Box Truck Engine Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kobedog

Reaction score
I am currently shopping for a box truck for my business with a 16' cargo box. These are typically called "Cutaways". Used commercial truck dealers in my area usually have ex Penske or Budget trucks for sale in the 2010-2012 range. I am finding the following options:

GMC with 4.8L gas engines (roughly 200,000 miles)
GMC with 6.0L gas engines (roughly 150,000+ miles)
FORD with the 6.8L V-10 gas engine (130,000+ miles)

Here is my delemma:

The GMC 4.8 are priced right (around $10K) and have been repainted and checked out and repaired and often new tires installed. I'm concerned though that the 4.8 is too week in the muscle department to haul a load.

The GMC 6.0 are priced higher at $15K but are the obnoxious Penske yellow. These 6.0's are fewer but I've found a few. The cabs on the GMs are a little spartan and tight.

I just drove a FORD 6.8L that was in great shape, has a nicer cab, and a little extra room to tilt the seat back (I'm 6' tall so this is nice.) I've heard some mixed reviews on the 6.8L V-10s though and l'm concerned this engine may be trouble, and a gas hog.

Does anyone have opinions about the Ford vs Chevy, the V-10 specifically, and has anyone used a moving van that had the 4.8L in it? Was it gutless under a full load? :confused::confused:

I'm a Chevy guy with a 5.3L Tahoe, but that Ford was looking pretty good. Your input would be helpful in my decision.:help:
Thank you.