Brakes aggresively pulsating when coming to a stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bbjerm

Reaction score
I took my Tahoe to my old work (Tire Max) to get an alignment before I made a trip out of town. I was told I need to replace a few things on my front end (upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, pitman arm and idler arm. Pretty much everything) in order to get the alignment done. I went ahead and replaced the control arms since my ball joints werent pressed, they were fitted and let the shop do the pitman/idler arms and tie rods with the alignment.
When I was driving to the shop to drop it off I noticed that when I come to a stop and brake a little hard the pedal pulsates bad and feels as if the caliper is engaging and stopping multiple times very roughly. Also when I turn for example into a parking spot that is a 90 degree turn the tires shake a little bit.
I've learned to brake lightly way before the actual stop to stop this from happening but if I push the brake pedal a little too fast they pulsate.

Could this be a bad or warped rotor or bad wheel bearings causing this?

offerman73

Reaction score
The pulsating you feel is the ABS kicking in, a common problem when either a wheel bearing is going bad or an ABS sensor is at the end of its life. Drive safely until you get the chance to check it out. It could also be a caliper thats gone bad and is stuck. Check pad wear to see if its a caliper. If its a caliper you may just need to lube the slider pins. But More than likely it's going to be a bearing unless the ABS light is on. If you want to find out which side it is just unplug one side at a time and drive it around the block while hitting the brakes. This happened to me so I replaced the Abs sensor and it didn't fix the problem, turned out to be the bearing assembly. Don't cheap out on the bearing either, cheap bearings are cheap for a reason and you'll be replacing it or them again within a year or less. Just my experience. Oh yeah, I have a 2000 NBS Tahoe and Suburban.