Broken Vacuum Powered Brake Booster?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arizona

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I am new, first post, first day. I have a 1995 Chevrolet Tahoe 4 Wheel Drive, and yesterday when I pressed on the brakes, A whooshing sound came from under the steering wheel. The Brakes work, but they are not working as well as they did prior to the whooshing noise. Brake Fluid is okay, The vacuum line from the motor sounds fine when isolating it from the booster. You can definitely hear this whoosing sound coming out of the piston on the interior side of the power booster. Is it safe to say the power booster is broken or is there anything that I am overlooking. Thank you for any help.

Last edited:

sntrym95

Reaction score
Sounds like you diagnosed it correctly. I'd get in there and replace the booster.

BTW Welcome to the board!

pickard18

Reaction score
Anybody have an answer I have the same problem and the inside pads on front breaks are shot but outside pads are great brake fluid looks real dark and starting to get a stain down the brake booster I'm freaking lost