Buckets or Bench, can't decide.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmbaker3

Reaction score
Geezzz... stuck in the middle here. :lol: All my SUV's have had 2nd row bench... but the other day I tried out a new Tahoe with the buckets and it felt so much more roomy. Then again, I like to carry stuff in the rear cargo area, and would pull the thrid row seat, thus exposing all my stuff. My fishing rods would fit well between the buckets. Then again on a long trip we sometimes climb into the second row for a nap.

I have not a clue which way to go... maybe a flip of the coin?

Is there a preferred order pattern to this choice? :confused:

T-pole

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't decide on this either... In my Expedition, I have the bench, and I can squeeze 4 adults for short trips on the bench. (took the rear seat out years ago) I like the look of the bucket seats better, but the bench seems more logical.

The bench can carry more people, easier to load 'junk' onto it when out shopping or whatever.

The buckets appear to be more comfortable, and look better.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had a bench on my 99 suburban, ordered buckets on my 06 and am never going back, ATON more roomy and seats 6 for extra long trips and for short trips. much more luxurous too. LOVE IT SET UP THIS WAY.

Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geezzz... stuck in the middle here. :lol: All my SUV's have had 2nd row bench... but the other day I tried out a new Tahoe with the buckets and it felt so much more roomy. Then again, I like to carry stuff in the rear cargo area, and would pull the thrid row seat, thus exposing all my stuff. My fishing rods would fit well between the buckets. Then again on a long trip we sometimes climb into the second row for a nap.

I have not a clue which way to go... maybe a flip of the coin?

Is there a preferred order pattern to this choice? :confused:

Perhaps a Suburban is on your horizon? you will have cargo area with the 3rd row still in and you can climb to the 3rd row for naps on your long trips and your cargo will still fit, especially fishing rods fitting between 2nd row buckets on a short trip without the 3rd row in it?!?!??!?! Just my $0.02 :au:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a Suburban is on your horizon? you will have cargo area with the 3rd row still in and you can climb to the 3rd row for naps on your long trips and your cargo will still fit, especially fishing rods fitting between 2nd row buckets on a short trip without the 3rd row in it?!?!??!?! Just my $0.02 :au:

:iagree: i have taken my third row out twice in my year and a half of ownership, never needed to as ihave plenty of spance and when i did take it out i folded the second rows and nobody could ride in the back anyway :smilielol: definatly worth it.

tommyg

Reaction score
Personally, I just don't get the appeal of the 2nd row buckets. We tested them out, and to me they didn't seem so spacious, especially with all the space between them. If the seats were a bit wider I could understand, but it did nothing for me.

We have two small kids, and we put two cars seats next to each other on the bench. We can still fit a third person in the 2nd row, and still flip forward that seat to allow access to the 3rd row.

Obviously not a concern for everyone, but it works really well for us.

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this problem as well..

Bucket is you like the cool factor and bench if you like practicality.....simple, it depends on what kind of person you are....

jperaino

Reaction score
I just took delivery of an 08 with buckets. Wouldn't ever go back to the brench. The buckets are very cool and comfortable.

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I just don't get the appeal of the 2nd row buckets. If the seats were a bit wider I could understand, but it did nothing for me. We have two small kids, and we put two cars seats next to each other on the bench.

But that's just it, tommyg. You're still thinking in "little tikes car seat" mode. I, too, thought precisely like you not too long ago because, since owning a SUV (transitioning from the minivan market), I always needed a bench, vice the buckets. That paradigm is understandable because you need to accomodate the chillin's (that's "children", for those who need translation). But since my two older sons have grown since owning 2nd row bench vehicles, I've changed my thinking because they are MUCH bigger now and require the comfort of the individual captain chairs. You should see them, they LOVE having their own chairs and not being pushed up on each other w/ a bench... Anyway, you will change your thinking when your kids get older/bigger...TRUST ME!!! ;)

tommyg

Reaction score
Bucket is you like the cool factor and bench if you like practicality.....simple, it depends on what kind of person you are....

You saying I'm not cool? :cool2:

having two car seats in the back actually pretty much takes away the cool factor from whatever you're driving...at least a little bit...;)

tommyg

Reaction score
But that's just it, tommyg. You're still thinking in "little tikes car seat" mode. I, too, thought precisely like you not too long ago because, since owning a SUV (transitioning from the minivan market), I always needed a bench, vice the buckets. That paradigm is understandable because you need to accomodate the chillin's (that's "children", for those who need translation). But since my two older sons have grown since owning 2nd row bench vehicles, I've changed my thinking because they are MUCH bigger now and require the comfort of the individual captain chairs. You should see them, they LOVE having their own chairs and not being pushed up on each other w/ a bench... Anyway, you will change your thinking when your kids get older/bigger...TRUST ME!!! ;)

Yep, I'm sure the thinking will change once they're old enough to start beating each other up from opposite sides of the bench.

Then again, I spent the first 13 years of my life in the back seat of a tiny Opel station wagon between my two sisters...so the bench in a Denali XL with flip down dvd is a little bit of a step up...of course, they'll never know how good they have it...:)

Snomon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's all relative to where you are at in life. I went 2nd row bench so I can get my child seat in the middle and still have 2 adults sit...

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why I went bench...because with buckets and no 3rd row seat (most people take out the day the get the Tahoe home) you have less seating that an an Accord....with bench, you can pile all sorts of crud in the back and not have to hide it like you do with buckets...the bench hides it for you.

jmbaker3

Reaction score

I have an 01 7.3 Excursion, which I will never sell. ... with the bench.... and I swore I would never own the 2nd row buckets... now look at me. geeezzzz. I do like the idea of hiding your "stuff".

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i went buckets because i have two car seats and put them in the third row, then adults can sit more comfortable in the second row captains chairs.

Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why I went bench...because with buckets and no 3rd row seat (most people take out the day the get the Tahoe home) you have less seating that an an Accord....with bench, you can pile all sorts of crud in the back and not have to hide it like you do with buckets...the bench hides it for you.

I have an 01 7.3 Excursion, which I will never sell. ... with the bench.... and I swore I would never own the 2nd row buckets... now look at me. geeezzzz. I do like the idea of hiding your "stuff".

I am in no way attempting to change the direction of the thread nor do I want to pick on you two, but I have absolutely NOTHING flying around in my Yukon, how much stuff do you guys keep in the vehicle??? I am not the cleanest man on Earth, not by any means, but I try to make sure there isn't anything at all bouncing around inside. I have 2nd row bucket seats and my 10 year old LOVES that she has a similar seat to the front ones where my wife and I sit, heated 2nd row is the way to go by the way...

jmbaker3

Reaction score
I am in no way attempting to change the direction of the thread nor do I want to pick on you two, but I have absolutely NOTHING flying around in my Yukon, how much stuff do you guys keep in the vehicle??? I am not the cleanest man on Earth, not by any means, but I try to make sure there isn't anything at all bouncing around inside. I have 2nd row bucket seats and my 10 year old LOVES that she has a similar seat to the front ones where my wife and I sit, heated 2nd row is the way to go by the way...

I tend to be a pack rat... keeping tools, jumpers, trailer stuff, parked in the rear of the vehicle...so it can fill up, if just a small space. ...And I have no children that I know of.

Maybe I just decided... still... the interior should looks good with those buckets... It would be pretty cool if they had made an option of having both. Just pop in the version you desire and off you go.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i keep a battery jumper pack and a tire compressor (tiny one, big one is in the garage) but the tinted windows do a preety good job of hiding stuff in the back. i wish the 06's could have the captains chairs in all three rows like the 07's.