building a 1999 tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99thomas

Reaction score
I have a 1999 tahoe which the tranny went out last year. I had rebuilt the engine earlier in the year after realizing the intake needed to be done while i was installing the new water pump. And that was after i had just installed a new 6 in bds lift and tires a couple months before.

But my plan is to build this 14 sf i have sitting here with a new posi but im not sure if i should stick with 3.73 which i currently have in my 10 bolt but im gettting a new 4l80e with stand alone computer unless i can find a 6 speed setup somewhere that someone has done on this body style.

motor is my question spot, i have thought about the 383ht but not much power for the money and then there is the zz454 and zz502, thought about the ramjet 502 but sounds like there is still issues with the computer which i dont feel like sinking more money into. fuel injection/carb is still questionable but not important as this is a street rig when i decide to drive it but not used as a daily driver as its been sidelined most of the last 2 years.
Im new to forums and im sure there is plenty out there on motors but whats the opnion on the best route. zz 454 zz502 lsx454. along with that what about the axel ratio to keep road worthy since im not sure how much the motor matters. I guess also has anyone used or heard much about those new front axel shafts, rcs i think it is?

99thomas

Reaction score
Lots of looks but no response, basically was looking for opinions on the bb's other than the obvious anwsers and if anyone new much about the lsx454. also its rcv shafts, i know they make them for chev trucks but not sure if interchangeable yet and curious if anyone has an opinion about them minus the cost.

Jounier11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well now that u speak 502 ramjets and what not obviously gas mileage does not matter to you so id personally say the zz454 is your best shot.

99thomas

Reaction score
Was thinking the same thing that way i could put more into the fuel injection if i go that route.