Building My Own Engine Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Purely for conversation/research purposes, I have been thinking of engine upgrades, as my stocker approaches 125K or so..
It functions fine etc.. but one day it will die, and I want to be ready.

I looked at superchargers etc for my engine now, and 3 friends say that building a new engine yourself is more rewarding than a crate engine, and would be cheaper etc. ( I'm not sure if this is true, please dont flame me.) Plenty of people will be available to help, and there is no time limit.

I have to be able to buy this thing in steps for budgetary concerns, build it myself in my garage with a normal compliment of tools, and I have no time limit. Maybe a year or two if I can keep my vortech running.

So, with that said, do I head to the junkyard and get a 5.7L engine from some other vehicle and tear it down, or start with a fresh block? Ultimately I need to have this thing fit right in, use the stock wiring/computer etc, and be completed at a pace that wont alert the checkbook warden.

I guess my first move is an engine stand and a block to start rubbing on.

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
IMHO, I would go with a seasoned block and stroke it to 383. Port and polish the ilower intake and heads along with a 5 way valve job. I would also go with a mild cam, to give it that slight lope and a set of roller rocker and lifter. Also I would stud the block.

I would go with the very much upgraded fuel injector. That's about as turn key as you can get.

I'm more of a N/A horsepower type guy, so I can not give opinion on any sort of forced induction.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah this wont be boosted at all.. maybe later. I know that may affect the kind of pistons and compression thats used, but for now I dont think my wallet can handle it.
I will use a comp cam, and roller rockers/lifters, yes.
I have to get the block first.

you like the seasoned block, huh.. any particular reason?

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
A seasoned block has already been through multiple heat and cooling cycles whereas a new block has not.

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tell you what Pete, let's just cut through all the BS and get to the reality check.

Your never going to be totally happy until you have a fire breathing truck that is "above" average in power.

Get yourself a used big block and put a few bucks into it, while keeping the old 5.7 breathing, providing daily service.

A year or so down the road when the big guy is done and ready to drop in, you have minimal down time and when your done, you will make big horsepower even if by accident.

I found out from my engine shop that they have engines traded in from "tractor pulls".

Engines that have lots of trouble free miles left in them but are not trusted for "extreme" use. There are many in the 572 ci range. You could even just do a carb'ed version and not have to mess with any hocus pocus electronics.

Just a thought. I'm curious to try one of these monsters myself. There is nothing better than the sound of a radical cam in a monster N/A BB engine. :)

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does it actaully take to throw in a carb'd motor into one of these suckers.. BTW (im not using painless) lol

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah.. if I did that, how does all that electronics business transfer over? would a BB even fit in there without a shoehorn?

I think I just need an excuse to tinker in my garage. I have an 83 chevy stepside Im eyeballing. maybe thats the ticket to keep me out of the tavern.

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like most engine builds, always go over budget. I probably should not have brought up the notion of the big block. They fit in these trucks but, the problem of course, is feeding them.

The Carb is a simple solution, but then you have to deal with coming up with all the signals and pulses to satisfy the OBD2.

I think the ECM is using crank shaft pulses to keep the fuel pump running.

You should probably just stick with the small block. If your build goes over budget like so many do, then at some point, you might wonder “what if?†I had just done the big one. Lol

Just for fun, there is a picture of the ultimate crate motor, that I really would like to play with. And just to keep everything even, the picture of the sbc with the twins.

But just be serious for a moment, the 572 does 620 hp on pump gas and that is an engine you can beat on for 100,000 miles with out expecting problems.

The 720 HP big block is of course using high octane fuel. That is the other issue, is whether you wanted to end up with a pump gas engine or do you mine chasing premium fuel?

Just for fun, here is the sales pitch from Chevrolet.............

The ultimate beast!
Make no mistake, the ZZ572/720R is a race motor. It delivers a resounding 720 horsepower and 685 lb.-ft. of torque creating at the same time the most powerful big-block crate engine ever offered by GM Performance Parts.

We took the ultra-popular ZZ572/620 pump gas street engine added 12:1 compression pistons, a hotter camshaft, and our rectangular-port aluminum Bowtie heads with stiffer valve springs to work with the new cam. The block is the Gen VI tall-deck Bowtie block which was designed for the 572 application. The solid roller camshaft is a .714 lift magic maker that aggressively feeds the air/fuel mixture into the hungry, high-squeeze, stroker big-block. This creates a rev-happy monster that rocks to a 6750 rpm redline, leaving the competition in its wake.

The ZZ572/720R is rated at 720 horsepower at 6250 rpm and 685 lb.-ft. of torque at 4500 rpm. The short block is built with the best heavy-duty parts in the GM Performance Parts part bin, including a 4340 forged steel crankshaft, shot-peened forged steel rods, forged aluminum pistons with full-floating wrist pins, stiff dual valve springs, and a louvered oiling windage tray. Our Deluxe ZZ572/720R ships with a Holley four-barrel carburetor, tall-deck single-plane intake manifold, HEI distributor, aluminum short-style water pump, and 8mm spark plug wires. Distinctive '572 CHEVROLET' cast aluminum valve covers complete the package. GM Performance Parts integrated, durability-tested, and validated this combination to the described performance levels, and all you need is a GM Performance Parts lightweight starter to fire it up!

Attachments

• 572 720 hp.jpg
    572 720 hp.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 4
  • TTurbo-frontleftquarte-lg.jpg
    TTurbo-frontleftquarte-lg.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 5

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hahah ive looked at that 572 millions of times. I always say to my self 16 grand isnt that much.. : D haha i laugh everytime i think about that. But that would be totally bad ass mofo.. maybe if i sue someone for something, ill put my money towards that..

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That 572 is an awsome motor. Now that I got a chevy to work on I may think about it. I would love to go the full 720 hp one, but its alot easier (and cheaper) to fill a 620 hp model with premium, than a 720 hp with raceing fuel. Completly impratical, But so fun to dream about.

Treepete. a 454 BB Should fit in just fine, I can see no difference (apperence) in the hood of a 2500 suburban to a 1500 tahoe, that takes the 454 just fine.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I look at the 572 this way. I could go spend 50k on a denali with 403 Hp and 417ft lb of torque, Or I could go spent 8-9k on a great condition gmt 800 tahoe or yukon, Then for another 20k have a completly BA fire breathing 572 big block in there.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
right??? One sec, I gotta go rub one out real fast. sheesh, Del. :D

OK. Im gonna go shower up and think about what you've said. I cant just apply your disorder like that, for chrissakes....:)

I need to teach myself and save my DD, ... AND get that 83 somehow.. thats my goal...

did I mention that we got 6" tonight? Be glad you guys dont live by a lake.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
right??? One sec, I gotta go rub one out real fast. sheesh, Del. :D

OK. Im gonna go shower up and think about what you've said. I cant just apply your disorder like that, for chrissakes....:)

I need to teach myself and save my DD, ... AND get that 83 somehow.. thats my goal...

did I mention that we got 6" tonight? Be glad you guys dont live by a lake.

Right. i would take 6" of snow in a heartbeat. have not seen it stick to the ground in over 6 years.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lake Erie. but havnt gotten anything today... is it coming treepete? goddamnit..

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, Pete, I'm not suggesting you spred the wealth with GM. It is just to point out that a N/A big block can make huge power with just a controlled leak sitting on top of it. :lol:

Even setting up for regular gas, you could make at least 500 without out too much trouble. And I'm suggesting with used parts. ;)

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry a little off topic, how much do these "used" tractor pull engine go for?!

I have not checked in with the machine shop for a spell. I will try to get by there this week and see what they have coming in and the price range.......

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please do not build you won own engine. I built my 95 Eclipse GS-T. Like the hoe, its pointless to put money into it like TT GOD said. I've built my car the GS-T and i call it the BS-T. BLOOD SWEAT N TEARS. Since then I have become perosnally attached to the car where it comes very hard to sell it. Different b.w those who build and buy. My eclipse is another bank account...and i cant cant cant jusitify to sell it. I know im taking a losse on it...but if i sell it its like selling a soul...2 years of my life out the garbage. For this sympton i would say just buy a motors...theres cheaper enough.

PS I love you and miller light and head too wooohooo