Charging question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pursuit2550

Reaction score
I was driving around today and I notice that my volt meter was below 14 volts. Since I bought the Tahoe I dont think I have ever seen it below 14 volts. Anyways after driving for awhile the volts went up to 14, stayed for awhie then dropped again. I also have a 01 Silverado and It has never fallen below 14 on the volt gauge. Is this normal, Has it happen to anyone else.
Thanks

LVYUKYUK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen mine dip below 14 already. Normally when I don't have as many accessories on. Seems counter-intuitive to me. To settle your mind, you could swing by a parts place and have them check your battery. My guess though is the charging system is fine. I'm interested in seeing what others say though.

genestoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perfectly normal in the newer vehicles, the computer shuts down the charging to save wear and tear on the alternator and save gas supposedly when there is no need for the charging. When the vehicle needs more voltage it will then rise again above 14 volts.