?Cleaning MAF Sensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clean97LT

Reaction score
Hey guys!
Another question, maybe this will be easier than my seat track problem. I need to clean the mass air flo sensor on my 97; I assume it's the same procedure I did when cleaning the maf on my 85 Corvette....just remove the sensor and spray it clean with the appropriate electronic parts cleaner, which I bought at radio shack, it worked great on the Vette. Is this all I should do, or am I messing up? Thanks for any help.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds right... If you really want to play it safe.. you can use the "MAF" cleaner spray from pepboys/kragen, etc...

bsamoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I did a couple weeks ago. Didn't know if it was dirty so I just cleaned it anyway

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is throttle body cleaner the same stuff? I've heard of people using that...

stephendudra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MAF cleaning

NEVER use contact cleaner to accomplish this. It only takes a small amount of residue that contact cleaner can leave behind to again make you clean it.

Do some searches on the forum here and you will find a lot of talk of others doing it with contact cleaner and finally spending 5-8 bucks for the MAF cleaning spray at Pep Boys.

Do it right the first time and save yourself some headaches.

Stephen

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you clean it? any results? what procedure did u use?

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should get the proper MAF cleaner one of these days... but I've been using brake cleaner spray w/ no problems so far.... just use the straw on the nozzle, and spray at the inlet of the MAF... Don't drench it.. but a few blasts... and let it air dry (sometimes I gently swing/shake it). Works fine after that. It's very easy...