Clicking Noise After Shift to Second

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RiverRat11

Reaction score
Good Morning,

New to the site with a question; I've tried searching, but haven't run across a thread addressing my issue. I have a 2001 Tahoe, 5.3, 4WD with 170K miles on it. The issue I'm having is a clicking noise after the shift from 1st to 2nd. Nothing shutters, the shifts don't seem to be harsh, and it doesn't sound like it's anything that's metal on metal - like I mentioned, it's more of a quick clicking noise than a grind of any sort. The noise doesn't happen every time I go somewhere, but it ONLY happens on the first time through the gears whenever it does occur. For example - pull out of the driveway, accelerate moderately through the shift - it happens. Reach the stop sign 200 feet down the road and come to a complete stop, it won't happen again. It seems to happen more consistently when I am in tow/haul pulling a boat, but is not limited to that condition. Trans fluid seems pinkish/red and doesn't seem to smell. Not throwing any codes...

Any help is appreciated - Thanks in advance