Clunk after stopping then accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coldfuzion

Reaction score
Hey all new here, working on my mom's 97 tahoe. She loves the damn thing and won't part with it so I've been working on fixing it up and going to paint it in the spring for her.

Enough of that, found an issue that's been going on for awhile. When you come to a stop from say 30+ mph, then accelerate you hear this loud clunk. She had it examined before by a shop and they told her it sounded like a burr on the drive shaft. Should I start there or would you guys/gals know of something else to check first. It doesn't do it any other time.

Thanks for any help !

dmh6904

Reaction score
This sounds like the issue I used to have. I discovered it was the lack of lubrication in the drive shaft yoke. Pull the drive shaft and grease the inside of the yoke before sliding it back into the transmission / transfer case. GM used to make a special lube for this, but am told it is no longer available. I have tried several different lubes, but have failed to find one that lasts for more than a few oil changes.
Hope this helps!
dmh

WisYukon

Reaction score
Ever figure this out?? I had my local mechanic grease up my yoke while he had the shaft out for some other work. Clunk is still there but I"m not totally sure it was greased.

bplayer405

Reaction score
I've found grease only works a short time. If it's the slip yoke causing the noise, very common problem, try anti seize. I used a liberal amount in my 98 K1500, same setup, and it no longer makes any noise. It's worked for 6 months so far... drove me nuts before this fix

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

warbirdog

Reaction score
Hey all new here, working on my mom's 97 tahoe. She loves the damn thing and won't part with it so I've been working on fixing it up and going to paint it in the spring for her.

Enough of that, found an issue that's been going on for awhile. When you come to a stop from say 30+ mph, then accelerate you hear this loud clunk. She had it examined before by a shop and they told her it sounded like a burr on the drive shaft. Should I start there or would you guys/gals know of something else to check first. It doesn't do it any other time.

Thanks for any help !
Go to your local John Deere implement dealer and get a tube of "Gorn Head Grease" Any farmer knows the great stuff.